270soft Forum
admin_270

Prime Minister Forever - British 2010 Feature Suggestions

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas here. A couple of them (multiple ad types in particular) are in PM4E British 2010.

A couple others (in particular, swing counts and coalition talks after an election) will probably be implemented in the next couple of weeks leading up to the election.

Anthony Burgoyne

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

Tony,

Just so you know, under "Political Game News", the URL lists "/political_games" twice, resulting in an error. The other link on the main page works fine to get it, but you might want to fix this one as well.

And yes, I know it's been hectic with both games coming out in such short order.

Thanks very much - fixed.

Anthony Burgoyne

Tony,

Just so you know, under "Political Game News", the URL lists "/political_games" twice, resulting in an error. The other link on the main page works fine to get it, but you might want to fix this one as well.

And yes, I know it's been hectic with both games coming out in such short order.

Do you mean numbers in individual constituencies beyond just percentages?

If so, maybe. It depends on technical issues.

Anthony Burgoyne

Yes. Both percentages and raw vote totals should be included. For example, no one cares if someone wins 43% to an opposition candidates 43%. We want to know how close everything actually was. Was it decided by 600 votes or 60. Get me?

• Upvote 1

Right, thanks for the clarification.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

Yes. Both percentages and raw vote totals should be included. For example, no one cares if someone wins 43% to an opposition candidates 43%. We want to know how close everything actually was. Was it decided by 600 votes or 60. Get me?

Having taken a very quick look at the game, I have a couple of comments:

1. Television and radio advertising shouldn't be allowed. Parties cannot advertise on TV and radio in the UK (except for the Party Election Broadcasts which are free, national and allocated based on past performance and the amount of candidates the party is standing). It is not realistic to allow TV and radio adverts beyond this limited scope.

2. Times on election night should be in "BST", not "CET". Also, results don't come in in the middle of the day - they start coming in a few hours after polls close and they come in overnight. Further they don't come in by region. This is not how a real election night works. The seats come in one by one from all over the country. As some other people have suggested the game should show what the swing is in the seat and whether it has changed hands or not. Throughout the results coming in there should be "projections" of what will happen if the swing that has been seen so far is represented over the whole country.

A few random suggestions/questions/nitpicks:

- Having Cameron take a position that involves the phrase "British jobs for British workers," when it was Brown that (if I'm not mistaken) drew considerable attention for using that wording, seems a bit odd at first glance, though I won't pretend to know UK politics inside-out.

- Why do Brown and Bercow have an Integrity rating of 2? I don't get the impression that Brown is known for being particularly dishonest, or that Bercow has had any big scandals before or after becoming Speaker.

- Given what a big deal the debates seem to be so far, maybe either add an effect to debate performances beyond the single-day headline on Issue Familiarity, or raise the profile of Issue Familiarity so that debate winners get a bigger bounce? I played once as Clegg, won all three debates, and didn't get anywhere near the boost that happened IRL after the first debate.

Speaking of which, it might be interesting to do an alternative scenario that starts right after the Lib Dem surge. Is 80soft planning on something like that? If not, I might take a crack at it myself...

Alright, fliers/pamphlets are broken. The last day of any ad doesn't charge you in the game. Pamphlets are a one-day ad. Anyone see a problem relating to minor parties?

(Hint: UKIP should NOT be able to get to 9% when you're playing it)

Thanks very much for getting the 2010 update out before the election!

I think these suggestions will really improve the game:

1) The election debates need to have a MUCH bigger impact - we've seen how Clegg's performance revolutionised the campaign. I think we should be seeing poll changes of 5-10 points if a candidate is the clear winner.

2) Please please please please please please give us seat-by-seat declarations on election night! It will be literally the best thing ever.

3) On the platforms of the parties, one of the issues should definitely be Constitutional reform. I'd suggest

Left: Proportional representation (Lib Dems)

Centre-Left: Elected House of Lords, Alternative Vote system (Labour)

Centre: Investigate Lord's reform, retain FPTP (Conservative)

Centre-Right: No change in system

Right: Re-introduce hereditary peers

A few random suggestions/questions/nitpicks:

- Having Cameron take a position that involves the phrase "British jobs for British workers," when it was Brown that (if I'm not mistaken) drew considerable attention for using that wording, seems a bit odd at first glance, though I won't pretend to know UK politics inside-out.

- Why do Brown and Bercow have an Integrity rating of 2? I don't get the impression that Brown is known for being particularly dishonest, or that Bercow has had any big scandals before or after becoming Speaker.

The phrase is definetely penned by Brown. I would agree with Bercow on a 2 for integrity, but not so much for Brown. Bercow's had 3 minor expenses scandals. That's one too many, so it adds up to below average integrity for me. Brown could be accused of stealing some Conservative policies such as on inheritance tax, and alleged lies about immigration statistics, but that fault usually points the finger of blame at the Home Office. I would just about lean towards a 3 rating though.

The phrase is definetely penned by Brown. I would agree with Bercow on a 2 for integrity, but not so much for Brown. Bercow's had 3 minor expenses scandals. That's one too many, so it adds up to below average integrity for me. Brown could be accused of stealing some Conservative policies such as on inheritance tax, and alleged lies about immigration statistics, but that fault usually points the finger of blame at the Home Office. I would just about lean towards a 3 rating though.

I think the ratings are meant, at least to some extent, to represent the party as well as the leader. While a "Mr. Clean" politician might be able to dodge the feeling of a sleazy party, there are enough issues with Labour (and the Tories, to be fair) getting wrapped up in the expenses mess and so forth that it's not even funny.

I bought the game tonight and here are my first impressions.

VERY ENJOYABLE

Great game and very realistic until election night. I played as the Conservatives and throughout the 6 week campaign, the lead changed several times between Cameron and Brown with neither having a major advantage up until election night when it was expected to be a close call. We had a very slight advantage of 1-2% going into the final day but ended up winning 403 seats to Labour's 174. We won 39% of the electoral vote with Labour taking 27%

We were struggling in one region with just a week to go (can't remember which) and ended up winning EVERY SINGLE SEAT which was a tad unrealistic.

So how did that happen? I've noticed the same thing happen on Chancellor Forever 2009 with last day swings but never to such an extent. Going from the above figures, we managed a 10% swing in a single day. Has anyone else noticed this?

My suggestions for improvement.

More leaders:

CONSERVATIVE - William Hague (probably the 2nd most senior Tory behind Cameron)

LABOUR - Alan Johnston (widely expected to succeed Labour if they lose and Brown resigns)

LIB DEMS - Vince Cable (respected within the party and many seem his as more capable than Nick Clegg)

SNP - John Swinney (former leader and current Finance Minister within the Scottish Government, very likely to succeed Salmond should he resign in the future)

My only other major complaint (and its a big one) is having the election map dark blue on election night. Very hard to differentiate between the lighter blue of the Conservatives when regions are being called. I'm probably not the only one having this problem.

But altogether, this is a very good game and enjoyable to play. A little tweaking and it will get better. I would give it a solid 8 out of 10.

Also, the 2010 campaign should be 4 weeks, not 6...

UK elections are generally 35 days. In any case, the PM4E scenario should match the dates from the RL election - i.e, very first day should be the day Brown called the Queen and got the election started.

UK elections are generally 35 days. In any case, the PM4E scenario should match the dates from the RL election - i.e, very first day should be the day Brown called the Queen and got the election started.

The 6 week campaign is necessary IMO. It takes 10 days to create each crusader and 5 days for the first set of ads to be ready. Rushing the whole election into 35 days using the TheorySpark model just wouldn't work. Having limited CP points for endorsements in a 35-day campaign is another reason why it wouldn't work. It would also be very difficult to research scandals on your political opponents with less time available.

Another suggestion would be to upgrade the Scottish National Party's "how established party" counter from 2 to 3.

The major parties in Northern Ireland all have the 3 rating, and the SNP have been governing in Scotland for nearly 3 years with almost no dip in popularity since their May 2007 election win. In fact, they are odds on to increase their majority in next year's election.

Of all the major parties in Scotland, the SNP are probably best organised with strong grassroots support at local level, increased party membership numbers and solid financial backing.

I've actually got some suggestions about individual Scottish candidates and constituencies. Some of the ridings are way out (Glasgow East is a big example) but rather than list them all here I'll send Anthony a private message later tonight.

This is a great game though. I don't want to sound as if I'm constantly knocking it, just think it needs some minor tweaking. I've played 5 or 6 elections already and I only purchased it 24 hours ago. :lol:

So check your inbox tonight Anthony. I live in Scotland and have a keen interest in politics at both local and national level so I believe I can offer some valuable assistance in small areas.

I definitely think there should be at least 1 alternative independent leader given that Bercow isn't really an independent at all. Richard Taylor of maybe Esther Rantzen should be an alternative option.

My only other criticisms would really be that the Lib Dem bounce hasn't really been accounted for and they seem to have actually been put in a harder position that at the last election. Possibly I think support for the smaller parties may have been slightly underestimated, but we only have a week to go to find out.

On a more minor point, The Daily Express is not centrist, it is a right wing, at the absolute least center-right but I would have said right wing, newspaper.

Hi,

I think a good idea for improvement would be different magnitudes of issue gaffes - at the moment a leader making an issue gaffe only gets -3. I think it should vary all the way to -9 - as we're seeing now with Brown and the bigot-gate scandal and immigration.

I think the scenario should include updated candidate names.

I think this so strongly that I am doing it right now for submission to TheorySpark so they don't have to.