270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

Ugandan Presidential Elections 2011

With the upcoming presidential elections in Uganda next year already heating up, I thought it may make fodder for a scenario, although I plan to finish a few current scenarios before starting on it. Currently, I'm just gathering input and ideas. The candidates of note would be:

National Resistance Movement (NRM)

-President Yoweri Museveni

Inter-Party Coalition (IPC)

-Colonel Kizza Besigye: Forum for Democratic Change (FDC)

-Madame Miria Obote: Uganda People's Congress (UPC)

-Mr. Kibirige Mayanja: Justice Forum (JEEMA)

-Mr. Ken Lukyamuzi: Conservative Party (CP)

Democratic Party (DP)

-Councillor Norbert Mao

-Mr. Samuel Lubega

Social Democratic Party (SDP)

-Honorable Michael Mabikke

Uganda Federal Alliance (UFA)

-Honorable Beti Kamya

Some issues include:

-African Union

-AIDS Program

-Anti-Homosexuality Act

-Asian Trade

-East African Community

-Federalism/Kings' Austhority

-LRA

-Media Freedom

-Polygamy

-Somalia Peacekeeping

-Terrorism

-Western Relations

Tell me what you think.

Edited 02/14/2011

Definitely, we've had our first African fictional scenario, so I'd like to see a real African nation's election done.

I will definitely need a map. Can you help me with that, please, Treasurer?

Also, it seems Kasubi Tomb Fires is not an issue anymore, as the arsonist turned himself in recently, and there's a general consensus to rebuild them. District (unit of local government) creation seems to have suddenly become an issue, though, with the NRM wildly spliting and merging extant districts in a new bill, and most of the opposition calling just for one district per old county. I will still need seven more districts, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Region,_Uganda

Would you like it in regions or districts? Can PFE+P handle over 70 districts though?

It can handle it, but 97 districts is a lot of work, and a lot of them would be hard to click on. I'm thinking a compromise. Have the Western, Central, and a small part of the Eastern regions be divided into the traditional Kingdoms of Toro, Ankole, Busoga, Bunyoro, Buganda and Rwenzururu (though that still leaves a few orphan districts in the southwest), the rest of the Eastern region as a region, and then the whole Northern region as it's own region. A Kingdon-centred divide also makes regional issue centres easier to handle, as opinions seem to vary sharply kingdom to kingdom.

A few months ago, I was thinking of doing a PM4E Kenyan election. As in many Eastern African countries, regions are very polarized politically between tribes.

A few months ago, I was thinking of doing a PM4E Kenyan election. As in many Eastern African countries, regions are very polarized politically between tribes.

That's why I suggest the six kingdoms as their own regions.

It seems Uganda has no public polls anywhere I can find. I'm essentially going to have to guesstimate where parties are strong and weak, based on their elected MPs' constituencies, most likely, at least for starting percentages. Also, should I use Ugandan schillings for the scenario currency, which would mean a ludicrous money co-efficient, or British pounds, given Uganda's ties to Britain as a prominent trading partner and member of the Commonwealth?

I would remain faithful to the home currency, but what numbers are talking here? I'm sure the finances would be low compared to the UK and US?

• Upvote 1

I can't seem to find reliable party finance numbers. They don't seem to be public information like in Western nations. I'll have to guess.

Also, in light of yesterday's bombings, I'm adding Terrorism and Somali Peacekeepers to the list of issues.

Seems like a new political party just joined this race, the Uganda Federal Alliance, with Beti Kamya (the only woman in this election), a sitting MP, as it's candidate. I should get around to this once I've wrapped up a few other outstanding projects, if anyone's still following this.

I'm definitely still interested in this. Anything happened with it recently?

Sorry for taking so long to answer. I should be able to begin once I have certain key facts verified. Like, exactly what day the polls will close, and what's a good day to begin the campaign. I also need to figure out how to work the Coalition, who are all running, but not against each other, so they say. In fact, their supporting each other, and the others will drop out in favour of the one who gives the best show on election night. Any idea how to work this?

Sorry for taking so long to answer. I should be able to begin once I have certain key facts verified. Like, exactly what day the polls will close, and what's a good day to begin the campaign. I also need to figure out how to work the Coalition, who are all running, but not against each other, so they say. In fact, their supporting each other, and the others will drop out in favour of the one who gives the best show on election night. Any idea how to work this?

I'm actually considering an alternate way of doing this scenario, but one requiring more work. Since the parliamentary and presidential elections are on the same date, and since there's actually no seperate presidential and prime ministerial positions (the president is both head-of-state and head-of-government), and since the party primaries (one of P4E+P's strong suits as an engine) were all but one one-sided races, I thought I'd instead use PM4E with a full slate of MP candidates in all 214 constituencies avaialble and the 'presidential constituency,' in it's own inset region with the same population as the whole rest of the map where all the party leaders run and which has a house rule much higher value. This way also there can be actual coalitions. Thoughts?

I'm actually considering an alternate way of doing this scenario, but one requiring more work. Since the parliamentary and presidential elections are on the same date, and since there's actually no seperate presidential and prime ministerial positions (the president is both head-of-state and head-of-government), and since the party primaries (one of P4E+P's strong suits as an engine) were all but one one-sided races, I thought I'd instead use PM4E with a full slate of MP candidates in all 214 constituencies avaialble and the 'presidential constituency,' in it's own inset region with the same population as the whole rest of the map where all the party leaders run and which has a house rule much higher value. This way also there can be actual coalitions. Thoughts?

Does anyone have any comments or ideas on doing the scenario this way?

I think it's a fascinating idea and it would be nice to see it tried out in practice, on the other hand it would make the presidential results lack quite a bit in the suspense they would normally have.

On the whole I favour it though.

I've taken this up again, given this election's right into the meat of it. I've decided to just focus on the presidential aspect, though, as adding the parliamentary part makes this a bit too unwieldy. I'm doing the Coalition as one party with a primary featuring the four member party presidents. I've updated my first post in this thread. I still need six issues. Any suggestions?

This scenario is now ready for playtest. Endorsers and events still need to be done, but I'd like a good objective playtest at this point. Any takers?

I've been a taker once for this scenario. How is it these days?

This one is almost done. It still needs regional issue centres, events, and endorsers, and a good playtest or two. I admit I haven't touched it for a while. I will probably get back to it, though.