270soft Forum
admin_270

Congress Forever 2010 Version Info

It's silly to think that a come-back-from-behind-to-win-a-really-strong-primary-victory candidate like Sharron Angle has a worse chance at beating Reid. I call that the Dems wishful thinking; in reality, she's probably the strongest candidate to run and the Dems and the media are trying to play it down.

It's silly to think that a come-back-from-behind-to-win-a-really-strong-primary-victory candidate like Sharron Angle has a worse chance at beating Reid. I call that the Dems wishful thinking; in reality, she's probably the strongest candidate to run and the Dems and the media are trying to play it down.

First, have you heard the ideas she supports?

Second, have you seen the polling? According to pollster.com trendlines, at present, Reid and Lowden were roughly tied, with Lowden up 41.2 to 41.0, while Angle trails 42.1 to 39.4. The polling says she's weaker, and there is historically a penalty that Republican Senate candidates pay for being further and further to the right (http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/05/move-right-and-win-revisited.html).

Oh, and also, on a different subject, I don't think Connecticut is going to be quite as close as how it's presented in the game. There has been exactly one poll showing the race closer than 10 points, which was Rasmussen, and a subsequent Rasmussen poll showed the race at 23 points for Blumenthal.

We'll see how polling goes. For now, because she's further to the right, we've increased Reid's percentages a bit.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

Somebody needs to accept that the tea party isn't America. Don't bring your politics into the game, let's just look at the facts.

Rasmussen has an extremely strong bias towards Tea Party candidates, probably due to the demographics of the people it samples. People say it's biased towards ®, but that just conceals an even bigger bias towards (Tea Party).

Should Carly Fiorina really get an extra star? She's polled at least 5 points worse than Campbell did in nearly every poll, and she is further to the right than he was. Her only positive is her money.

In addition, shouldn't Blumenthal be doing better? He's maintained a double-digit lead, even with the misleading thing about his military service.

Somebody needs to accept that the tea party isn't America. Don't bring your politics into the game, let's just look at the facts.

I am looking at the facts, and the facts say that Sharron Angle leads Reid by a lot. And, it's a political game.

As for Fiorina, she has bigger name recognition than Campbell did and she's got more national support.

I am looking at the facts, and the facts say that Sharron Angle leads Reid by a lot. And, it's a political game.

As for Fiorina, she has bigger name recognition than Campbell did and she's got more national support.

I know it's become hackneyed to joke about Rasmussen polling, but seriously, you have to admit they've been suspicious of late. The consensus polling (from pollster.com) is Reid +3.

Hey guys,

We'll keep an eye on the polls, and modify if Angle's support holds in future polls.

General note: I don't want this to turn into a political flame war thread, everyone please keep the tone respectful. Facts are useful, relevant political analysis is fine, flaming is not. If that happens, I will start moderating.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

The DailyKos puts Reid +6, but Mason-Dixon and Rasmussen call Angle ahead by +3 and +11, with a median average of Angle +2.7%. Countless of past polls put Angle ahead of Reid; only two (one Mason-Dixon and one DailyKos) have Reid beating Angle at all.

I also must respectfully object just a little; Reid's numbers weren't 'boosted' a little, you have him starting at +15%! There are any polls to back up those kind of numbers for him.

You're right - that's too high given the polling to date. If her numbers hold in a week or so, I'll ratchet Reid down.

Thanks,

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

The DailyKos puts Reid +6, but Mason-Dixon and Rasmussen call Angle ahead by +3 and +11, with a median average of Angle +2.7%. Countless of past polls put Angle ahead of Reid; only two (one Mason-Dixon and one DailyKos) have Reid beating Angle at all.

I also must respectfully object just a little; Reid's numbers weren't 'boosted' a little, you have him starting at +15%! There are any polls to back up those kind of numbers for him.

I know it's become hackneyed to joke about Rasmussen polling, but seriously, you have to admit they've been suspicious of late. The consensus polling (from pollster.com) is Reid +3.

Rasmussen has two sorts of polls: setting the agenda polls, which often are wildly inaccurate but promoting their favoured candidate and point of view, and the serious ones, which we will start seeing closer to the election

Has anyone been able to create ads that are highly successful? Even with insight and a 100% chance of an ad being highly successful, they never are.

I'll look into this,

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

Has anyone been able to create ads that are highly successful? Even with insight and a 100% chance of an ad being highly successful, they never are.

Maybe one way to handle a situation where an ideologically "out there" candidate is currently ahead in the polls or tied with an incumbent is to leave the percentages alone, but make the candidate's star rating weaker?

The most recent Rasmussen Poll (June 22) has Angle's support at +7 (from +11 on June 9). The RCP average is +1.3.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2010/senate/nv/nevada_senate_angle_vs_reid-1517.html

Therefore, I'll adjust the numbers for Nevada's Senate election to be relatively close.

Thanks,

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

You could do that. I think Sharron Angle should have at least a four point lead over Reid; one star lower may be proper. Reid +14 is absolutely ridiculous.

I'll look into this,

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

If I go on the main screen to create an ad and I click it, but I click cancel even right away, it still costs me a CP even though I didn't actually create an ad.