270soft Forum
admin_270

Congress Forever 2010 Version Info

Hi RI Democrat,

Targeting a district = $10,000 per turn.

Ground Ops in a district = $20,000 per turn.

So, you were probably spending approx. $700,000 per turn on these things combined.

We'll be fine-tuning these numbers in the next few days.

I've also added to the to-do list the ability to get a summary of expenditures.

Anthony Burgoyne

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

This is a broader question - right now I'm close to the end of a campaign as the DCCC, and I seem to be spending about $500k per turn despite running no ads at all. I have two crusaders, 15-20 targeted seats, and about 25 with a ground power of 1. What could be costing this much?

EDIT: Now I've completely run out of money and I'm getting a message saying I could not run an ad this turn due to lack of funds, even though I wasn't trying to run any - could there be an ad bug at work here?

Quick question (and apologies if this has been asked and answered before.... if it has I couldn't find it) -- I purchased Congress Forever and the offline help file included is for President Forever. Was the wrong one accidentally included or is it a temporary thing until the C4E help file is built up?

It is until the C4E Help File is finalized. Then we'll make the offline version.

Anthony Burgoyne

Quick question (and apologies if this has been asked and answered before.... if it has I couldn't find it) -- I purchased Congress Forever and the offline help file included is for President Forever. Was the wrong one accidentally included or is it a temporary thing until the C4E help file is built up?

Hi RI Democrat,

Targeting a district = $10,000 per turn.

Ground Ops in a district = $20,000 per turn.

So, you were probably spending approx. $700,000 per turn on these things combined.

We'll be fine-tuning these numbers in the next few days.

I've also added to the to-do list the ability to get a summary of expenditures.

Anthony Burgoyne

OK, so it costs money to maintain the ground ops after spending some turns building them up?

One other suggestion - on Election Night, even though the totals come in over a period of time, it looks like the percentages never actually change, so you pretty much know who won which seats in any given state once the polls close there. I think it would be more interesting if the numbers fluctuated like they do on President Forever.

"OK, so it costs money to maintain the ground ops after spending some turns building them up?"

Yes. I'm currently implementing a feature to display all expenses from the last turn, itemized - so this stuff will be more clear.

"I think it would be more interesting if the numbers fluctuated like they do on President Forever."

In the next version (probably released today) election night has this feature.

Anthony Burgoyne

OK, so it costs money to maintain the ground ops after spending some turns building them up?

One other suggestion - on Election Night, even though the totals come in over a period of time, it looks like the percentages never actually change, so you pretty much know who won which seats in any given state once the polls close there. I think it would be more interesting if the numbers fluctuated like they do on President Forever.

Hi,

Two questions (I'm a longtime player of these games but I tend to lurk here)

1. Would you consider raising the EP's or can we do it manually somehow? (Is that possible?)

2. When do you estimate we'll be able to save games?

Thanks,

Reagan 43

"1. Would you consider raising the EP's or can we do it manually somehow? (Is that possible?)"

We'll be fine-tuning game-play in the coming weeks.

You can do it manually, by opening the scenario.xml file in the relevant scenario folder and changing the cp_per_command_strength variable.

"2. When do you estimate we'll be able to save games?"

Probably within a week.

Anthony Burgoyne

Hi,

Two questions (I'm a longtime player of these games but I tend to lurk here)

1. Would you consider raising the EP's or can we do it manually somehow? (Is that possible?)

2. When do you estimate we'll be able to save games?

Thanks,

Reagan 43

First, I wanted to say your products have been fantastic over the years. I've been buying them since 2004. :) New products understandably can take some getting used to.

I tried what you suggested. Didn't work (I think this is a bug, correct me if I'm wrong).

"Cannot create the C:\Program Files\Congress Forever 2010\scenarios\Congress - United States - 2010\parties.xml file. Make sure the path and file name are correct."

It doesn't seem to be routing to the scenarios page - is it my computer or the program? (Just wondering). If it's my computer, I'll fix it on my end but I don't think it is.

Sorry to bug you - thank you very much for your help and patience with this.

LOVING this game so far...just one minor detail: John Murtha, D-PA12, is quite dead. As evidence, I submit the fact that there was a funeral, which I attended. :rolleyes:

The special election to replace him has not yet occurred, but the Democratic nominee is Mark Critz.

EDIT: I accidently sent a candidate more money than originally intended, and realized there was no way to "undo" the mistake (despite the fact that I had not ended the turn or even closed the screen).

I just had this interesting outcome (I was democrats):

Republican: 52.4%, 63.5 million votes

Democrats: 47.6%, 57.8 million votes

Republicans were announced the winner...but they only got 202 seats! Democrats, with 233 votes, should have been the winner.

What a ) operating system are you using, and b ) program are you using to edit the .xml file?

Anthony Burgoyne

First, I wanted to say your products have been fantastic over the years. I've been buying them since 2004. :) New products understandably can take some getting used to.

I tried what you suggested. Didn't work (I think this is a bug, correct me if I'm wrong).

"Cannot create the C:\Program Files\Congress Forever 2010\scenarios\Congress - United States - 2010\parties.xml file. Make sure the path and file name are correct."

It doesn't seem to be routing to the scenarios page - is it my computer or the program? (Just wondering). If it's my computer, I'll fix it on my end but I don't think it is.

Sorry to bug you - thank you very much for your help and patience with this.

Actinguy,

Can you clarify - with more votes, the Republicans should have gotten more seats, or should have gotten fewer seats (because of how the votes were distributed)?

In other words, did the seat totals appear to be wrong, or did who was announced winner seem to be wrong?

Anthony Burgoyne

I just had this interesting outcome (I was democrats):

Republican: 52.4%, 63.5 million votes

Democrats: 47.6%, 57.8 million votes

Republicans were announced the winner...but they only got 202 seats! Democrats, with 233 votes, should have been the winner.

Actinguy,

Can you clarify - with more votes, the Republicans should have gotten more seats, or should have gotten fewer seats (because of how the votes were distributed)?

In other words, did the seat totals appear to be wrong, or did who was announced winner seem to be wrong?

Anthony Burgoyne

I had the same problem. It was seat distribution. For example, the wrong party won PA 19 and 1 even though the announced winners were the other party.

Example

Candidate Vote % NUM

Philip Avilio 141,776 41.3% 1

Todd Platts 201,337 58.7% 0

The majority and seat percentages seem calculated off the NUM column.

Hope that clarifies.

It's probably a Vista permissions issue. Make sure you have permission in the operating system to write to files in that folder.

Anthony Burgoyne

(a) Windows Vista

( B) Notepad (Programs >> Congress Forever 2010 >> Parties (for example) and I get that error message

FYI, Parker Griffith (AL-5) is expected to run as a Republican (He switched parties on December 22, 2009), not as a Democratic as he is listed in the game.

Admin: What website did you find the candidate information for the 2010 scenario? I'm just curious as to where.

Sorry for the 3rd post, but I've found a bug (sorry if it's been reported already):

screenshot_02-1.jpg

Nick Jordan (REP) got the most votes, but it gave the seat to Dennis Moore (DEM). It's been doing it in many more seats than that...

Because of that bug, it's hard to know who actually won a majority.

I have version 1.1.6.

Actinguy,

Anthony Burgoyne

That's a good question, and one I don't know the answer to. My instinct was the announced winner was wrong, but I was only going off of the announced seat totals. If the seat totals themselves are wrong, that's something I didn't take into consideration.

For some reason when I am half way through the election an error screen pops up and says "not enough space to perform command." I have no idea why it does this, I haven't had this problem before.