270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
French conservative

Ghana's 2008 Presidential Election

Next to my French P4E scenario, I began to work on a Ghanaian scenario a few weeks ago.

Why a Ghanaian scenario ? Well I'm pretty much close of this country by alliance (is that the correct word in English ?)

As always, the first thing to do was to work on the map.

091111041458410416.jpg

Please tell me what you think about this map before I go ahead. For the reccord, the blue background for scenarios (and to represent the sea) isn't availiable anymore on this forum (the link doesn't work) so I just put blue stuff.

And I just began to think about parties and candidates.

For those who don't know it, Ghana is a perfect democracy, but former dictatorship.

There is two main parties looking a lot like the US elections. The New Patriotic Party is a the conservative party. The National Democratic Congress is a pretty much liberal party, and party of the former dictator. This party won the 2008 election presidential with less than 1% of the popular vote ahead.

If some of you are familiar with Ghanaian politics, I'd be happy to receive any possible help to make this one great.

About this election, for veterans of P4E, if primaries are really early, I mean if the game begins really early before the real election, is the game harder ? I noticed in some 2008 scenarios beginning in march 2007 for the US 2008 presidential election, in the end of 2007, the player receive lots and lots of scandales... Is it still playable ?

To explain my point, in Ghana for the 2008 election, the NDC nominated its candidate in december 2006 for an election in december 2008 ! I will leave weeks in game until october 2008 but could that much a long game change the balance ? Or is it okay and I can put historical dates ?

I think it's the first African real-life scenario. There was a South African one, but i believe it was never completed. I think your map is decent but could be better. The borders should look neater though, the lines should be of similar or exact width. Now i have a map template stored and i can send it to you via email. However, i can revamp the map if you want, or i can help you out with it. You will need photoshop to drag the map onto the template, if you want to do it yourself, but i'll help.

The campaign does seem rather long, but if you want to be realistic...I'm unsure if the American campaign begins once all candidates have been nominated or from the first one to enter the primary race. When creating a scenario, generating endorsers and events can mould the election campaign, which can give financial help or momentum or footsoldiers. I would say first keep it simple at first, and check how the campaign goes. Spacebar with the weakest candidate chosen, to check this. If there is anything not going to plan, then make endorsers more in favour of the stronger candidate or increase the momentum/footsoldiers. If that's not good enough, input a genuine event in the election that damages one or few candidates, according to their platform on a certain issue.

I think it's the first African real-life scenario. There was a South African one, but i believe it was never completed. I think your map is decent but could be better. The borders should look neater though, the lines should be of similar or exact width. Now i have a map template stored and i can send it to you via email. However, i can revamp the map if you want, or i can help you out with it. You will need photoshop to drag the map onto the template, if you want to do it yourself, but i'll help.

The campaign does seem rather long, but if you want to be realistic...I'm unsure if the American campaign begins once all candidates have been nominated or from the first one to enter the primary race. When creating a scenario, generating endorsers and events can mould the election campaign, which can give financial help or momentum or footsoldiers. I would say first keep it simple at first, and check how the campaign goes. Spacebar with the weakest candidate chosen, to check this. If there is anything not going to plan, then make endorsers more in favour of the stronger candidate or increase the momentum/footsoldiers. If that's not good enough, input a genuine event in the election that damages one or few candidates, according to their platform on a certain issue.

Hey thanks for those advices. You're right I whould make it work with a much shorter period of time. (And for now, I am trying to deal with a bug I never saw before after I think I checked everything : polls are not moving, always the same numbers everywhere for every candidate... Maybe because of this extensive timeline)

About the map, well I have to admit I only use Paint, as I don't have photoshop. This is clearly poor to do that kind of thing. So if you're willing to help on that I would thank you so much ! Because I don't think I would really be able to do better than this with Paint...

Afetr a few weeks off, (sorry for that) I went back to my scenarios, and especially the ghana's one...

right now I face a huge problem : polls never ever change ! there is still the exact same polls for weeks and even years ... does anyone knows where does that come from ?