270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kauai

Britain using PR

Someoone should do a scenario where Britain uses PR. Either as fallout from the expenses scandal demands political change, or if the LD's somehow managed to win....or forced the issue in return for their support.

I should be easier than doing a scenario from scratch given the amount of material already available for use.

Someoone should do a scenario where Britain uses PR. Either as fallout from the expenses scandal demands political change, or if the LD's somehow managed to win....or forced the issue in return for their support.

I should be easier than doing a scenario from scratch given the amount of material already available for use.

I think this is a neat idea! It could actually realistically allow parties like the Greens, UKIP, and BNP into Parliament. I'd like to see it!

This is an interesting idea. The problem is the same one I faced when designing the Ireland scenarios. 5% is a very high threshold for party representation, because in both FPTP (UK) and STV (Ireland), small parties can win disproportionate numbers of seats if their success is concentrated within a region. Both the UK and Ireland have many of these regionally-concentrated parties. Unfortunately, Chancellor Forever doesn't let you reduce the threshold. This seems like a small change that would make the game much better. As it is, there are only three parties with a chance of entering the Commons based on 2005 results.

My solution? Use modified 2009 European election results. I'll try this today.