270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

United States 1824

To let you all know, especially Darkmoon, who has been more than helpful on this, I got busy for a little while there, but am back on this, currently doing endorsers, which will be followed by events, and then, assuming a new error or something doesn't rear it's ugly head, it'll be ready for beta playtest.

A question to anyone who can answer. I want to do John Adams' endorsement as a scripted event, as I don't want a chance of him endorsing anyone but JQA, as that's his son. As he's a national endorser, it should work. The question is, what momentum bonus in events terms should equate to an endorser with momentum 2, footsoldier bonus 20, footsoldier chance 66, which is what I gave the other two former presidential endorsers? Any thoughts?

A question to anyone who can answer. I want to do John Adams' endorsement as a scripted event, as I don't want a chance of him endorsing anyone but JQA, as that's his son. As he's a national endorser, it should work. The question is, what momentum bonus in events terms should equate to an endorser with momentum 2, footsoldier bonus 20, footsoldier chance 66, which is what I gave the other two former presidential endorsers? Any thoughts?

In addition to JQA getting John Adams' Endorsement (event or otherwise), perhaps he could also be a strong crusader?

No, they don't. There are no running-mates in the jungle primary setup. Which, interestingly... Hmmm, that's actually interesting, since it's a way to avoid the running-mate conundrum.

Actually, it's a little weird, I think. If you have primaries in the time-frame, but not the convention, then if one player gets a majority of delegates that can make an Offer if running-mate, but that's the only way it'll happen. So you could get one candidate with a running-mate and another without. Weird. I like the idea, though. It's perfect.

OOH! Maybe it would also work for 1860? i.e., even though there *was* a Democratic convention in 1860, it didn't really work, so maybe have Douglas win the Northern states overwhelmingly, Breckinridge win the Southern states, and jungle-primary it?

You can separate Britain and France as issues, if you want, I'd say.

As best I know, there is no way to make the game "know" that the same person is in two different places. For instance, I'll sometimes make an Endorser out of someone who is running, and occasionally they endorse a different candidate. Now, you could put Calhoun in as the VP choice for both Adams and Jackson, and just treat one of them as Adams Calhoun and the other as Jackson Calhoun. But in a jungle primary it's moot, so whatever!

The problem with avoiding the veep issues is that in, say, a gubernatorial or senatorial scenario, you cant simulate primaries, and thus only one candidate can be made.

A loophole can be made in this by producing multiple scenarios depending on which candidate you wanted to play as.

Wow! 9 days of no posts on this usually busy sub-forum. Well, to break the silence, here's the United States 1824 beta for playtest. Please let me know what you think, and of any bugs. Sorry it took so long in the making; I was kind of busy there. Enjoy!

http://drop.io/w3utowr

Wow! 9 days of no posts on this usually busy sub-forum. Well, to break the silence, here's the United States 1824 beta for playtest. Please let me know what you think, and of any bugs. Sorry it took so long in the making; I was kind of busy there. Enjoy!

http://drop.io/w3utowr

Fantastic! I'm visiting family elsewhere at the moment, but I will be sure to take a look on Tuesday when I get back.

I bit the bullet and purchased Campaigns Forever so I could create my own scenarios. I'd be happy to help if you have any scenarios that need some tweaking.

Also, I'm working on a few historical presidential elections myself. I made sure to choose elections that no one else is working on.

Hopefully I will have the first scenario of my own ready for playtesting by the end of this coming week.

I got it to start, but when i tried to go to the next round is said "list Index out Of Bounds (0)"

Same here.

Overall, this is a pretty good scenario.

I have a few suggestions, just from playing as Andrew Jackson.

-It seems like no one can ever run out of money, no matter how many ads they run.

-William Crawford's debilitating stroke doesn't seem that debilitating.

-Given Jackson's charisma, I'm not sure why his Debating Skill is at a 2.

-Crawford was on the ballot opposing Adams in Maine, not Jackson, yet Jackson can compete in Maine.

-I am not sure why Jackson's Integrity is a 2.

Some more things I noticed regarding this scenario.

-Jackson's popular vote margin is close to that of Adams. In the election, Jackson won the popular vote by 10 points.

-It is impossible to substantially change the outcome of the election. No matter which candidate I pick, whether I play through or spacebar every turn, the election goes to Congress.

-The entire map switches to Clayton's Federalist primary around the beginning of November.

-In a lot of states, various candidates weren't even on the ballot.

Overall, this is a pretty good scenario.

I have a few suggestions, just from playing as Andrew Jackson.

-It seems like no one can ever run out of money, no matter how many ads they run.

-William Crawford's debilitating stroke doesn't seem that debilitating.

-Given Jackson's charisma, I'm not sure why his Debating Skill is at a 2.

-Crawford was on the ballot opposing Adams in Maine, not Jackson, yet Jackson can compete in Maine.

-I am not sure why Jackson's Integrity is a 2.

-First, the extremely low of cost may be the result of a VERY low money coefficient mixed with a very low population. I'll see what I can do about starting funds.

-As for Crawford's stroke, there were actually two events I forgot to add before releasing this: John Adams' endorsement of his son, and a recurring event that zaps Crawford's momentum at several random points to further debillibate him from his stroke.

-Jackson's debating should probably be fixed.

-I think Jackson actually won one EV in Maine.

-I was under the impression Jackson got a lot of flack over his actions in Florida. If I'm wrong, I'll adjust his Integrity.

Some more things I noticed regarding this scenario.

-Jackson's popular vote margin is close to that of Adams. In the election, Jackson won the popular vote by 10 points.

-It is impossible to substantially change the outcome of the election. No matter which candidate I pick, whether I play through or spacebar every turn, the election goes to Congress.

-The entire map switches to Clayton's Federalist primary around the beginning of November.

-In a lot of states, various candidates weren't even on the ballot.

-I may have to adjust the popular starting vote.

-I've run into a few election scenarios where changing the outcome is very hard or impossible. I'll look into it.

-I'm not sure what you mean by "switches to Clayton's Federalist primary." There should be no Federalsit primary. I'll look into it.

-I'm not sure how to replicate different candidates from the same party not being on the ballot in every state as each other.

What I mean with Clayton is, right around the beginning of November the map switches to every state being pink (which is his color). It stays that way until Election Night, when it plays through normally, but it means I can't see who is winning in each state.

What I mean with Clayton is, right around the beginning of November the map switches to every state being pink (which is his color). It stays that way until Election Night, when it plays through normally, but it means I can't see who is winning in each state.

That's very weird, indeed. I'll see if TheorySpark has an answer on it, as it must be a glytch.