270soft Forum
EGaffney

EGaffney's Scenarios

Just won 383 seats with Callaghan, the largest Labour majority since Attlee's landslide. :D

Good news: I worked on a Canada - 1984 scenario and nearly completed it, apart from "cosmetic" features like leaders and platforms.

Bad news: My hard disk drive failed.

Synthesis: I should be able to retrieve it, and if I can, I'll publish it when I complete it.

Just played 1974. Loved it.

Heath's charisma and momentum can easily be crushed with nasty ads and scandals haha!

Anyone thought of redoing 1987 (UK) to suit the new regions?

Or maybe David Cameron's leadership campaign in 2005, that was a dramatic race.

Glad you liked 1974 October.

I am concentrating on scenarios that have never been done for the moment. But UK politics before the 1970s doesn't interest me at all, so my current projects are Canada 1984 and UK 1974 February.

Maybe I will rework 1987 for the new set-up after that. But I don't know yet.

Nitpicker's note about 1974 October. It says in his bio Jeremy Thorpe's home region is the West Country but he actually starts in the Home Counties South.

Glad you liked 1974 October.

I am concentrating on scenarios that have never been done for the moment. But UK politics before the 1970s doesn't interest me at all, so my current projects are Canada 1984 and UK 1974 February.

Maybe I will rework 1987 for the new set-up after that. But I don't know yet.

Cool. do you know anyone who has made UK 1970?

Cool. do you know anyone who has made UK 1970?

No. As far as I am aware, there are no historical UK scenarios between 1910 and 1974.

The problem with a 1970 scenario is that it uses old boundaries, so it's a lot of extra work, whereas once I compiled a ridings_list for 1979, that was useful for the two 1974 scenarios. Same for 83/87/92.

I successfully retrieved Canada - 1984. Some good news.

I am trying to rescue as many files as possible in an hilarious dash from hard disk drive to USB with a five-minute limit each time.

In that case the only modern unmade British one is 2001 (for obvious reasons)... I suppose next come hypothetical scenarios like on PFE... for example Kinnock seeking re-election in 1996 or John Smith in 2001. Food for thought.

October 1974 is another excellent edition, where it is testing to play both of the main 2 parties so there's really good replay value to it. I'm obviously stretched with the scenarios I have right now, but if there are no takers for elections pre-1970 come the time I'm freeing up, I could do the odd one based on order of significance. I would like to use you're map EGaffney, when or if it comes to that time.

On the 1979 scenario:

Surely Callaghan's experience should be set at 5? At that point, he had served as an MP for nearly 34 years, was Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Transport from 1947-1950, Parliamentary and Financial Secretary from 1950-1951, held various Shadow Cabinet positions from 1951-1964, stood for the Deputy Leadership in 1960 and the Leadership in 1963, was Chancellor of the Exchequer from 1964-1967, Home Secretary from 1967-1970, Shadow Foreign Secretary from 1972-1974, Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs from 1974-1976, and of course, Prime Minister and Labour Leader from 1976-present.

On the 1979 scenario:

Surely Callaghan's experience should be set at 5? At that point, he had served as an MP for nearly 34 years, was Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Transport from 1947-1950, Parliamentary and Financial Secretary from 1950-1951, held various Shadow Cabinet positions from 1951-1964, stood for the Deputy Leadership in 1960 and the Leadership in 1963, was Chancellor of the Exchequer from 1964-1967, Home Secretary from 1967-1970, Shadow Foreign Secretary from 1972-1974, Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs from 1974-1976, and of course, Prime Minister and Labour Leader from 1976-present.

No. It is 4 because he was never elected PM.

I am going to do a 1970 scenario after all. Not only are the constituencies different, but so are the counties. Instead of the familiar map with the modern counties, the map will look different. Picture to follow.

Wow, Display Name's 1922 scenario is really good.

I am doing preliminary research for a Pakistan 2008 scenario for Prime Minister Forever. Just to determine if it's viable.

1970 is a good idea!

Does 2001 was ever made or was it too boring to play on?

Also, on You Tube, a good instrument to help work on scenarios in the UK general elections are the recordings of electoral nights of the BBC from 1979 to 2010.

• Upvote 1

1970 is a good idea!

Does 2001 was ever made or was it too boring to play on?

Also, on You Tube, a good instrument to help work on scenarios in the UK general elections are the recordings of electoral nights of the BBC from 1979 to 2010.

2001 = 1997.

The election night recordings are very useful to watch; one can get ideas for issues, and better understand the culture of the time.