270soft Forum
EGaffney

EGaffney's Scenarios

Latest News: UK - 1979, UK - 1983 and 1982 and Tokundi - 1992 for PMF are in open testing.

United Kingdom - 1979 for Prime Minister Forever

Callaghan versus Thatcher at the end of a chaotic decade.

United Kingdom - 1983 for Prime Minister Forever

Margaret Thatcher's government faces an economy in recession and a divided left.

United Kingdom- 1982 for Prime Minister Forever

An alternate-history election, with the Thatcher ministry falling at the height of the Alliance's popularity.

Tokundi - 1992 for Prime Minister Forever

A fictional country in recession plans to replace its centrist government with left- and right-wing challengers.

United Kingdom - 2005 - Advanced for Prime Minister Forever

The game of the 2005 general election, with improved data in every possible way relative to the TheorySpark scenario.

United Kingdom - 1992 for Prime Minister Forever

A high-quality scenario, based on the closest contest in recent times between the Conservatives and Labour.

Northern Ireland - 2007 for Chancellor Forever

An unusual scenario, set in the war-weary region of Northern Ireland, back when power-sharing between Democratic Unionists and Sinn Féin was still a close thing.

• Upvote 1

The Tokundi 1992 scenario is good from what i've played, very testing. I'll try get around playing some more to see if i can reach the goals!

Very good scenario, with good issues and endorsers!

However, I won a comfortable majority (about 115 seats) as the Unionist party with only 37% of the popular vote due to vote splitting. Is this is supposed to be this way?

• Upvote 1

Very good scenario, with good issues and endorsers!

However, I won a comfortable majority (about 115 seats) as the Unionist party with only 37% of the popular vote due to vote splitting. Is this is supposed to be this way?

Yes - you can win a comfortable majority with either of the big two parties without a huge vote share. It's comparable to a closer version of the 2005 UK general election, in the sense that there is a third party which performs quite strongly across the country, so few seats have winners with 50%+ of the vote.

I'll change it next time I edit it.

Next, I'm going to complete work on UK - 1983, which is complete but still needs alpha testing. Also, I need to include the graphics which I was so kindly sent by Display Name a long time ago. Since I have lots of data for the UK, I can quite easily extend to new scenarios. So after 1983, I'm probably going to work on the 1970s scenarios. Does anyone have any favourites? I will probably do them in the order 1974 October - 1974 February - 1979 - 1970 unless anyone wants one in particular first.

Sure thing. In the meantime, please test the 1982 and 1983 scenarios. These are now up. Thanks to Display Name for the leader images. 1982 has had only cosmetic changes from 1983. Each of these scenarios seems like it has had less work than 1992, partly because there's less information readily available about the period, so feedback will be very appreciated.

Mr. Gaffney,

I loved your Tokundi map so much that I have vowed to use it in my next scenario. Would you prefer it be an Asian-themed country (I may just use Tokundi since it sounds pretty Asian) or a European-themed one (Cartazed)?

• Upvote 1

What was the polls back then at the Alliance heights in 1982?

Also, please note that the Falklands War had given Maggie a great boost.

Polls were

Conservative 29

Labour 30

Alliance 40

The 1982 scenario takes place in a world without the Falklands.

Mr. Gaffney,

I loved your Tokundi map so much that I have vowed to use it in my next scenario. Would you prefer it be an Asian-themed country (I may just use Tokundi since it sounds pretty Asian) or a European-themed one (Cartazed)?

No problemo. Use it for whichever one you prefer. Use it for both if you like. Surely if there can be two countries of the same shape, there can be three!

I was enthused with the result through space-barring the game, so i chose the leading Alliance for 1982 and i thought it played greatly. I like how a "reality check" sets in where Labour and the Tories climb from their lows, mostly thanks due to the endorsers despite managing the Alliance to be endorsed by the Sun, Mirror and Guardian. If i didn't cheat i probably would of lost. Well, that's that what call it when i run all all my ads on 1 day to go, running into debt. So ended up with 239 seats to 208 seats to Tories, i think. So it's potentially more challenging because i done that.

Oh, and i can find the actual Tory logo they used at the time for the 1983 election. A high quality one i found, it's not too easy to find. The torch logo your using, made it's first election appearance in 1987, this is the 1983 one. I think this one had been used since the 70s? There's no info about it.

3469805849_6aaed1a39a.jpg

I was enthused with the result through space-barring the game, so i chose the leading Alliance for 1982 and i thought it played greatly. I like how a "reality check" sets in where Labour and the Tories climb from their lows, mostly thanks due to the endorsers despite managing the Alliance to be endorsed by the Sun, Mirror and Guardian. If i didn't cheat i probably would of lost. Well, that's that what call it when i run all all my ads on 1 day to go, running into debt. So ended up with 239 seats to 208 seats to Tories, i think. So it's potentially more challenging because i done that.

Oh, and i can find the actual Tory logo they used at the time for the 1983 election. A high quality one i found, it's not too easy to find. The torch logo your using, made it's first election appearance in 1987, this is the 1983 one. I think this one had been used since the 70s? There's no info about it.

The 1982 process is interesting, isn't it? It seems to be due to endorsers breaking for the big two and negative campaigns by both Labour and the Conservatives against the Alliance, which they can't deal with. It's not ideal if you want a final result where the Alliance lead, but on the other hand, 40% was their peak so it falls as it did in real life. I might change some of the endorsers. I think the Guardian was a big booster of the Alliance at the time, so I will probably give them a lead with that paper, and maybe add the Observer, which was more solidly liberal than even its sister journal.

That's the right Conservative logo. Thanks! I couldn't find it. I'll use that in the 1970s scenarios as well.

1979 update: From 1983 back, the non-essential details of a scenario are difficult to find on the Internet. I have a spreadsheet of results and party affiliations, but it's hard to find contemporary leader pictures, party logos, campaign events, issue positions and interviewers. On top of that, for all scenarios before 1983, I don't have a UK Elect file. UK Elect is a proprietary programme that's very useful for visually identifying where exactly each constituency is in the country, but there's no clearly-drawn electoral map for the pre-80s boundaries. The problem is exacerbated by the number of small parties I'm modelling. As such, I'm putting out a general request for assistance for cosmetic details that I may be missing. Scenarios are playable without them, but. If anyone can help with 1983, please do, and when 1979 comes out I'll look for the same help.

I am currently writing the new 635 constituencies and results into the ridings_data.p4e file.

The 1982 process is interesting, isn't it? It seems to be due to endorsers breaking for the big two and negative campaigns by both Labour and the Conservatives against the Alliance, which they can't deal with. It's not ideal if you want a final result where the Alliance lead, but on the other hand, 40% was their peak so it falls as it did in real life. I might change some of the endorsers. I think the Guardian was a big booster of the Alliance at the time, so I will probably give them a lead with that paper, and maybe add the Observer, which was more solidly liberal than even its sister journal.

That's the right Conservative logo. Thanks! I couldn't find it. I'll use that in the 1970s scenarios as well.

1979 update: From 1983 back, the non-essential details of a scenario are difficult to find on the Internet. I have a spreadsheet of results and party affiliations, but it's hard to find contemporary leader pictures, party logos, campaign events, issue positions and interviewers. On top of that, for all scenarios before 1983, I don't have a UK Elect file. UK Elect is a proprietary programme that's very useful for visually identifying where exactly each constituency is in the country, but there's no clearly-drawn electoral map for the pre-80s boundaries. The problem is exacerbated by the number of small parties I'm modelling. As such, I'm putting out a general request for assistance for cosmetic details that I may be missing. Scenarios are playable without them, but. If anyone can help with 1983, please do, and when 1979 comes out I'll look for the same help.

I am currently writing the new 635 constituencies and results into the ridings_data.p4e file.

Yes i can help you. On the logo front for the 70's, what may be the main issue is, i was unable to find the Liberal party logo, the only one availiable is the Liberal Party that was formed in 1988/89.

I played your 1983 scenario and i definetely think it's realistic as Labour, it just begs the question, is if i can get more endorserments, whether i can make large gains during the game and ending. I gained a little, but ended up back where i was by the end, just under 200 seats. Attacking the Alliance in ads or speeches is a must, which i left out!

Is it me or the Alliance issue positions seems a lot like the former British Liberal Party or maybe the Canadian Liberal Party?

Also, was Labour so ''left-wing'' at the time, or are they were dominated by some left-wing groups?

• Upvote 1

Yes i can help you. On the logo front for the 70's, what may be the main issue is, i was unable to find the Liberal party logo, the only one availiable is the Liberal Party that was formed in 1988/89.

I played your 1983 scenario and i definetely think it's realistic as Labour, it just begs the question, is if i can get more endorserments, whether i can make large gains during the game and ending. I gained a little, but ended up back where i was by the end, just under 200 seats. Attacking the Alliance in ads or speeches is a must, which i left out!

At the moment, I am using the following logos for the main parties:

Labour: An image of the words "The Labour Party" from its 1979 manifesto

Conservative: The torch icon provided earlier

Liberal: An image of the word "Liberals" from election literature

I tried and failed to find Labour's "The Better Way" rosette from the 1979 campaign, or a version of the "Labour - Liberty" logo that is still clear when compressed.

Is it me or the Alliance issue positions seems a lot like the former British Liberal Party or maybe the Canadian Liberal Party?

Also, was Labour so ''left-wing'' at the time, or are they were dominated by some left-wing groups?

If the Alliance issue positions were totally different from the Liberal Party, there would be something very wrong with the scenario! If you choose David Steel (then leader of the Liberal Party) rather than Roy Jenkins as leader of the Alliance, you can get more authentically Liberal stances - to the right of Jenkins on the economy and to the left of Jenkins on the environment, housing and trade unions. It's hard to say whether that's correct, and I'm considering shifting Steel to the left on the Economy issue, but he did go into 1979 highlighting how the Liberals moderated government economic policy in the pact with Labour.

Labour's manifesto was described as "The longest suicide note in history" by an MP who was a leading member of the Shadow Cabinet in 1983; it paid no heed to economic reality, in an election where the economy was the only issue on which Thatcher could lose. The manifesto was then written by the party's National Executive Committee (NEC), not the Shadow Cabinet, and the constituency parties in particular had been quite thoroughly infiltrated by Trotskyists. The parliamentary party had lost much of its right wing when the SDP was created. So the only moderate influence left on the NEC was the trade union bloc. So the answer to your question is that Labour had elected perhaps its most left-wing leader since the First World War, and many of the people who wrote its manifesto were on the hard left. In contrast, the 1979 manifesto was more centrist.

However, Labour at 1.1 overall is still pretty weird. All the issue positions in the scenario are authentic. I think it is justified to describe their positions as "Left" rather than "Centre-Left", even though the end result seems to be quite extreme. It was a time of extremes and using the whole range captures the extremism of both Foot and Thatcher. It was a truly remarkable election, and the political landscape was very different to that which preceded it, as I'm learning while drawing up the ridings file for 1979. Which is at time of writing 45% finished.

I have completed 1979 ridings. These are the same as those used in the two 1974 elections, so they will be written faster. I am now sorting out issues and then balancing before its release.

Future projects:

1. Feb and Oct 1974 elections

2. 1970 election

Any other requests? Maybe a "Lean" version of some scenarios that runs quicker (consolidated Northern Ireland parties, Nats, and independents) for people who just want to play the major-party battle?

Had a go at the '79 scenario and got this with Thatcher:

x5ccbp.png

Pretty good result I thought, but then nowhere near the party goal - is 440 seats a little too steep perhaps, given how ridiculously safe a lot of Labour seats were in this period?

Anyways, a really good scenario, I enjoyed playing it. There could be greater variation in region issue centres, but overall it's well balanced.

Thatcher's candidate image is from 1987. Here's a more appropiate one if you don't already have one from that time period.

article-0-00F28CF600000191-626_224x.jpg

article-0-00F28CF600000191-626_2-1.jpg

Played it, have to agree with Commoncold on the target - WAY too steep. In comparison, Thatcher got 339/635 in 1979 and "only" 397/650 in the 1983 drubbing of Michael Foot.