270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gopprogressive

Pacifica Republic 2010

The Republic of Pacifica is a Chinese-themed nation that resembles the Western region of the United States (similar to how Cartazed resembles the Southeast) plus Hawaii, Guam, Marianas, and some other Pacific islands.

DEMOGRAPHICS

Chinese 75%

Korean 12%

Other Asian 8%

Polynesian 4%

European 1%

PARTIES:

Centrist-Conservative Ruling Party

Communist Opposition

Liberal-Progressive Party

Red-Green Alliance

Homeland Party (right-wing anti-Communists)

Solidarity Union (left-wing anarcho-syndicalists)

Issues:

Agriculture

Ayati Alliance

Censorship

Civil Rights

Death Penalty

Economic Development

Energy

Environment

Health Service

Internal Security

Jobs

Military Reform

Poverty

Shou Lung Relations (Shou Lung considers Pacifica a "Colony in Rebellion," and Pacifica's international status is similar to Taiwan)

South Guanjin Crisis

Tax Policy

Terrorism

Western Relations

• Upvote 1

This sounds like a cool scenario! I'll help in any way I can. Though, shouldn't Pacifica get a bit more of a Chinese-style name?

This sounds like a cool scenario! I'll help in any way I can. Though, shouldn't Pacifica get a bit more of a Chinese-style name?

Well, I figured I'd make it similar to Singapore, at least namewise.

Do any of you guys have idea for party names?

• Upvote 1

Well, I figured I'd make it similar to Singapore, at least namewise.

Do any of you guys have idea for party names?

Perhaps Ji Yaodo (or mash it into Jiyaodo), Cantonese for 'Free Island.' Just a suggestion.

I like that party name! Perhaps it could be a regional party allied with the governing conservative party (to be named).

I have a Cantonese translation program on my hard-drive. If you want any English words translated to Cantonese, let me know. As all Chinese languages (except Manchu) have uncannily similar grammar to English (subject adjective-subject-proverbial-predicate-object adjective-object, essentially, with most other types of word in similar order as well), stringing them together shouldn't be hard.

I have a Cantonese translation program on my hard-drive. If you want any English words translated to Cantonese, let me know. As all Chinese languages (except Manchu) have uncannily similar grammar to English (subject adjective-subject-proverbial-predicate-object adjective-object, essentially, with most other types of word in similar order as well), stringing them together shouldn't be hard.

So what would be a good name for the Centrist-Conservative ruling Party and the Communist opposition?

• Upvote 1

I always wanted to do a real life Singapore election for PM4E, however these elections are very boring (as any dominant-party state) and the electoral system is a little bit different than the Westminster one.

Personally, I would like to see something like RL Singapore (with a Chinese-speaking majority and Indian and Malay minorities), where you have a dominant centre-right party with a ''reformist'' centrist opposition and another left-wing opposition party which could be the former communist party stronger in working class areas.

I would however put the opposition a little bit stronger as in RL Singapore as Singapore don't have a very organized (or very united) opposition to the PAP since 40 years.

• Upvote 1

So what would be a good name for the Centrist-Conservative ruling Party and the Communist opposition?

Tieshangang (literally Iron Mountain) - for a more centrist-conservative party, as an 'iron mountain' is a Chinese symbol of tradition and endurance.

Gongchandang - the name of the Chinese Communist Party without the word 'China' in it.

All right so we'll just call them:

Iron Mountain

Communist

Liberal-Progressive

Red-Green Alliance

Homeland

Solidarity Union

Thanks for the help Patine. Do you like the issues?

The issues look good. I especially like the nod to South Guanjin. However, I think Kozekura should be mentioned somewhere, but I don't know at this point what issue I'd swap out or what other two issues I'd merge.

The issues look good. I especially like the nod to South Guanjin. However, I think Kozekura should be mentioned somewhere, but I don't know at this point what issue I'd swap out or what other two issues I'd merge.

I'll mention it in the "South Guanjin Crisis" by having the option of sending troops with Kozekura to the country.

Anyways, Party leaders:

Iron Mountain

Ma_Ying-jeou_Berkeley_2006_%28cropped%29.jpg

Name: Kang Ying-shiuan

Communist

Hu_Jintao_%28Cropped%29.png

Name: Huang Zemin

Liberal-Progressive

1128_D20.jpg

Name: Jennifer Hong

Red-Green Alliance

pennywong.jpg

Name: Tara Jianping

Homeland

Lee-Myung-bak-280_724912a.jpg

Name: Han Myung-bak

Solidarity Union

samoa.jpg

Name: Tuilaepa Tulafono

• Upvote 1

Iron Mountain

fallows-chinese-banker-wide.jpg

I-xin Gao

Bio: Gao is a moderate conservative brought up in a poverty-stricken childhood. Standout policies include more power to trade Unions, enabling a healthier relationship between Unions and Government.

Communist

xin_162030513211659309627.jpg

Name: Enlai Liang

Liberal-Progressive

picd61uvpd0.jpg

Name: Yanglin Hu

Red-Green Alliance

haowu.jpg

Name: Longwei Deung

Homeland

GL1.JPG

Name: Zhenzhen Meng

Solidarity Union

defector_narrowweb__200x271.jpg

Name: Qiqiang T'ao

Do you want Wade-Giles or Pinyin province names?

What is the difference?

What do you think would work better for a cosmopolitan Chinese colony (though with a relatively diverse population ala Singapore)?

I need a total of 18 province names. Two provinces should have Korean names, and another three should have Polynesian names.

4 should be city names. And I'll need 3 subdivision names for 1 city. I have decided to use the Australia-New Zealand map I made for the map.

• Upvote 1

What is the difference?

What do you think would work better for a cosmopolitan Chinese colony (though with a relatively diverse population ala Singapore)?

I need a total of 18 province names. Two provinces should have Korean names, and another three should have Polynesian names.

4 should be city names. And I'll need 3 subdivision names for 1 city. I have decided to use the Australia-New Zealand map I made for the map.

Wade-Giles is the old transliteration of Chinese words, a system invented by the British: a la Chung-Kuo, Peking, Cheng-tu, and Hong Kong. Pinyin was invented by China in the '70's and is the one used to transliterate most Chinese words today: respectively, in the same order as above, Zhongduo, Beijing, Chengdu, and Xianggang.