270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BrianA

Redone 1993 scenario?

Is there a revamped 1993 scenario around? I think I had one a little while ago that was redone with x's in for the incumbent.

Also, has anybody done anything more with a 1988 or 1984 scenario?

What sort of help do you need?

Just checking up on the ridings and making sure they correspond fairly well to what happened historically.

That's pretty much all I need. I can redo the issues and everything.

The issues definately need to be redone, as the NDP should do far worse than they do- and Quebec should be much less pro-aboriginal (as it is IRL, particularly after that fight with the Mohawks).

I would also like to see the 1984 election with a new map, especially since 1984 was an important election like 1993 and 2006.

BTW, except for main cities and the Northern Regions, almost all of Canada is center-right/right on Aboriginal relations.

A word of advice:

It is very difficult to have good issues positions for Montreal because the electorate is so polarized between the Southeast of the island (one of the more left-wing nationalist region in Québec) and the rest of the island which is problably one the most federalist region in Québec with maybe the Outaouais, some of the Eastern Townships and Beauce (right-wing francophone region south of Quebec City). Also, the Quebec City is one of the most conservative city in Canada except maybe for Calgary, Edmonton and cities of the BC Bible Belt (such as Abbotsford).

400px-Quebecref.PNG

This map (from the 1995 referendum) is a good way to see that to help you for any Québec issues:

The Outaouais region (southwest), is one of the few Francophone region (with a 25-30% anglophone minority) to have a big majority for the NO at that time because that the federal government is the main employer in the region and the region is one of the most prosperous in Québec because of that. The West Island (in Montreal) and the northern parts of the island had also voted for the NO, with one riding (I think) had voted for 96% for the NO side.

All the border regions (especially with New Brunswick, Vermont, Maine, NYS and New Hampshire) had voted NO.

The Québec City region and the Beauce are generally more federalist than any other rural region in Québec.

The Saguenay and some of Montreal Suburbs are probably the most nationalist regions in Quebec.

Here are the issues for the updated 2008 official scenario:

Afghanistan

Arts and Culture

Atlantic Accord

Business Taxes

Childcare

Crime

Defense

Economy

Environment

First Nations

Gun Control

Healthcare

Parliament Reform

Personal Taxes

Provincial Powers

Quebec

Trade Policy

US Relations

issues for 2006:

Aboriginal Rights

Business Taxes

Childcare

Crime

Defense

Economy

Education

Environment

Foreign Aid

Government Ethics

Gun Control

Healthcare

Marijuana

Parliament Reform

Personal Taxes

Provincial Powers

Quebec

Same-Sex Marriage

US Relations

2004:

Aboriginal Rights

Abortion

Budget Surplus

Business Taxes

Childcare

Crime

Defense

Electoral Reform

Gun Control

Healthcare

Marijuana

Missile Defense

National Security

Personal Taxes

Provincial Powers

Same-Sex Marriage

Trade Policy

US Relations

Ok, for 2008, I will add Economic Crisis Response or something like that. I remember that the debates was centred on that. I will also add Government Ethics for 2004 with the Sponsorship Scandal during that time.

I also hope that you will add pictures for all leaders for smaller fringe parties and especially add new leaders for parties to play:

Maybe add Belinda Stronach (in 2004 only), Tony Clement, Jean Charest, Mario Dumont, Mike Harris, Peter McKay, Bernard Lord and Jim Prentice for the Conservatives.

Frank McKenna, Dominic LeBlanc, Sheila Copps, John Manley and add all the Liberals who were in the 2006 leadership convention.

Bill Blaikie, Lorne Calvert, Gary Doer, Lorne Nystrom, Thomas Mulclair (in 2008), Svend Robinson and maybe Pierre Ducasse for the NDP.

Adrienne Carr and maybe David Suzuki for the Greens.

Michel Gauthier, Bernard Landry, Serge Ménard, Pierre Paquette, Réal Ménard, Pauline Marois, André Boisclair and Lucien Bouchard for the Bloc.

If you look at some of the former user made and ''official'' 2004, 2006, Fictional 2007 and 2008 scenarios that are about 80% there with their respective picture. For the rest, I will try to find good photos.

HabsFan map is really good.

However, the BEST map for Canadian politics is the one for the 2008 Wonk Edition with all the major cities in it as separate regions (Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Québec City, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver).

I have his 1988 scenario, I'll have to download his 1993 one then.

Incidentally, his 1997 and 2000 scenarios are also on the download page. Just be careful with some of them - 1993 only has generic endorsers, while 1997 only has one leader per party (unless they've been redone since I downloaded them).

Incidentally, his 1997 and 2000 scenarios are also on the download page. Just be careful with some of them - 1993 only has generic endorsers, while 1997 only has one leader per party (unless they've been redone since I downloaded them).

I couldn't find his 1993 scenario, but I don't want to redo 1997 and 2000 since his scenarios are flat-out awesome.

So I'll work on 1993, 2004, 2006 and 2008.

I do have 2008 mostly done, I could use someone to go over the ridings and make sure they make sense (in the official scenario, the NDP is 2nd place in Montreal for some reason).

The NDP could basically only win Outremont and Westmount-Ville-Marie in Montréal. The rest in basically between the Bloc and the Liberals and maybe the Conservatives which have a remote chance in a few ridings in Laval which had a good score for the ADQ in the provincial 2007 election.

These ridings in the Montréal area are head-to-head between the Bloc and the Liberals:

Papineau

Ahuntsic

Jeanne-Le Ber

I could do it, if you want. You know my e-mail address.

The NDP could basically only win Outremont and Westmount-Ville-Marie in Montréal. The rest in basically between the Bloc and the Liberals and maybe the Conservatives which have a remote chance in a few ridings in Laval which had a good score for the ADQ in the provincial 2007 election.

These ridings in the Montréal area are head-to-head between the Bloc and the Liberals:

Papineau

Ahuntsic

Jeanne-Le Ber

I could do it, if you want. You know my e-mail address.

Will do. Thank you!

Whoever is interested in re-doing Canada scenarios I could let you have party expenditure figures for 1979-1988 if you want them.

Whoever is interested in re-doing Canada scenarios I could let you have party expenditure figures for 1979-1988 if you want them.

Do you have Habsfan's email or contact info out of curiosity?

Do they still have 1979, 1980 and 1984 up?

Do you have Habsfan's email or contact info out of curiosity?

Do they still have 1979, 1980 and 1984 up?

I think he's still on the boards, but under another name (OldPC, right?).

As for the other scenarios: some (but not all) of the pre-1988 scenarios are still up. They're not exactly Habsfan-level, though, so I think they would be fair game if someone wanted to do them again.

issues for 1993:

Balanced Budget

Business Taxes

Constitution

Crime

Democratic Reform

Environment

Fisheries

Free Trade

GST

Healthcare

Helicopter Contract

Infrastructure

Military

National Unity

NDP Governments

Personal Taxes

Unemployment

US Relations

All right, I changed a couple things with 1993 so that I think it turns out well and accurate.

For one thing, the NDP is strongly disliked in Ontario and BC- which will hurt them from gaining seats.