270soft Forum

Here are the candidates: some familiar faces, some suprises.

Election 2016

After 8 years, Barack Obama is leaving office on a high, with a 65% approval rating. Who will replace him? Both major parties have a crowded Primary field, whilst for the first time since 1992, there is significant third party involvement.

Democratic Party

John Edwards (b.1953) North Carolina

Rising from first time Junior Senator for North Carolina to Vice Presidential pick in five years, before being beaten by Bush/Cheney, Edwards failed to secure the 2008 nomination, and was mired in controversy soon after with his affair with a Campaign Worker becoming public knowledge. Now older, wiser and widowed, Edwards has worked to rebuild his reputation both within the party and the country as a whole. Will it be third time lucky for Johnny E?

Lisa Madigan (b.1966) Illinois

Current Governor of Illinois, (2010) Madigan enjoys the support of many of the campaign team that carried Barack Obama to two Presidential victories. Light on political experience, but very popular with grassroots Democratic activists, Madigan is aiming to present herself as a “...let us continue the work...” candidate, and many suspect she will soon enjoy President Obama’s endorsement. Can she become the first female President of the United States?

Al Gore (b.1948) Tennessee

To some, Al Gore should have beaten George W. Bush in 2000, to others, he is a wishy-washy environmentalist. After years on the fringes, Gore returned to centre stage when Barack Obama appointed him as the first Secretary of the Environment soon after re-election. Buoyed by positive public support, and a groundswell of support from certain sections within the party, can Gore turn back the clock and secure the nomination for the second time, or will his age be against him?

Brad Henry (b.1963)Oklahoma

A popular, moderate Southern Governor, Henry is making his first run for national office. He has wide appeal, with his stance on the issues attracting supporters from across the political spectrum. But with post Bush and Obama politics being increasingly polarized, is this enough to secure him both the base of his party and the swing voters he will need to take the Presidency. A centrist Southern Governor, where have we heard that before?

Mark Warner (b.1954) Virginia

Junior Senator from Virginia, Warner was believed to be pursuing the Presidency in 2008, but decided to run for the Senate instead. 8 years on, with several significant bills sponsored and Committee assignments, Warner has decided to throw his hat into the Presidential ring. Can he convince the Democratic Party that he is the right person to succeed Barack Obama, or is, as some have theorised, his eyes set on the position of Senate Majority Leader?

Republican Party

Sarah Palin (b.1964) Alaska

John McCain’s running mate in 2008, the conservative but divisive Palin sat out the 2012 election, turning down a second request to be running mate, this time to Mitt Romney, and instead conserved her funds and support for 2016. Can the poster girl for the conservative movement beat all more established and mainstream candidates and go on to claim the White House?

Bobby Jindal (b.1971) Louisiana

Seen as a front-runner for the 2012 nomination, Governor Jindal decided to keep his powder dry for 2016 when there would be no incumbent opposition. He didn’t foresee however, the other great white hope of the Republican Party, Sarah Palin, doing the same. That, along with the presence of the younger Bush, might put his candidacy in danger. Has Jindal gambled and lost?

JEB Bush (b.1953) Florida

Scion of the influential Bush family, the former Governor of Florida is ready for his first attempt at the office previously occupied by his father and brother. Bush is at once popular amongst conservative grassroots supporters, and a highly diverse group of voters ranging from Hispanics to African-Americans. Has the collective memory of his brothers Presidency faded, or is the Bush brand still too tainted to be electable?

David Petraeus (b.1952) New York

Bookish General Petraeus is widely credited with masterminding the beginning of the end of the quagmire in Iraq. Long admired by Republican activists, he ignored a late draft attempt in 2012 as a ‘Stop Romney’ candidate, and although reluctant to enter in 2016 has finally decided to take the plunge into electoral politics. Is his tough approach to foreign policy and law and order enough to appeal to the conservative core of the Republican Party, or will a lack of knowledge of his social beliefs scuttle his campaign before it even starts?

Mike Huckabee (b.1955) Arkansas

After his grassroots campaigns in both 2008 and 2012 failed to secure him the nomination, the Pastor and former Governor of Arkansas is having what many see as one final tilt at the Presidency. Can he garner enough support from the Religious Right to secure the nomination?

Jon Huntsman (b.1960) Utah

Former Governor of Utah, he shares his Mormonism with the 2012 candidate, Mitt Romney. Lauded by many for his moderate views, Huntsman was a revelation in 2012, and despite the support of former candidate Sen. John McCain, he finished a distant second to Romney. Will it be second time lucky? Again he has the support of Sen. McCain, but will the Republican Party once again baulk at his support for ‘Civil Unions’?

Gary Johnson (b.1953) New Mexico

Former Governor of New Mexico, Libertarian Gary Johnson has taken up the mantle of Ron Paul, and enjoys his endorsement. Whilst a highly effective Governor, he has controversial views such as legalisation of drugs, and classes himself as an “antiwar, anti-Fed, pro-personal liberties, slash-government-spending candidate: in other words, a Ron Paul libertarian” Surely winning the nomination would be a step too far?

Independent Candidate

Michael Bloomberg (b.1942) Massachusetts

Successful businessman and former Mayor of NYC, Michael Bloomberg is aiming to become the first Jewish President of the United States. Thanks to his business connections he not only enjoys wide-ranging and varied support but also a huge election war chest, estimated by some to be $500m. Can Bloomberg be the first third party candidate to become President, or will he act as a spoiler for both parties and throw the election to the House?

idk...John Edwards is a Gary Hart, we will likely not hear from him again as a candidate. Al Gore will be 68 in 2016, a bit old and he's as attractive as Nancy Pelosi with the middle now.

Maybe-Maybe not. Remember 8 years is a long time and JE does have age on his side. A position within the Democratic Party; somehow onto the DNC or something could help him rebuild his career. His wife passing away and some public sympathy might help too. Continued advocacy of measures to eradicate poverty and perhaps some sort of position in the second Obama administration, be it a Cabinet Secretary (unlikely, admittedly, especially as he would need time to run his campaign) or as the head of some organisation or the other.

Al Gore is an odd one. I'm not sure age stops any American politician where the Presidency is concerned, to be honest. Again, 8 years is a long time, if he serves as a semi-reliable Cabinet Sec., who knows. Again, if he is planning a Presidential run I think he would clearly either move towards the centre a bit more, or deemphasis in parts his concentration on the environment. A big ask though, but I guess you could count on the sympathy vote in a way too: he should have been President! All 0.01% of it!

I like it, but Brad Henry is term-limited in 2010. He'll have been out of office for six years.

Can I recommend Missouri Governor Jay Nixon as an alternative?

Drat! I thought I'd checked out all the things like that. Mhm, Jay Nixon is a possibility I guess; though he is older. I must admit I had been looking at him previously.

I do like Brad Henry though; perhaps appointed to the Senate to replace Jim Inhofe, (electoral dates are 2014 so he'd still have time in the wilderness) who seems the likliest of OK Senators to pack it in. That does, however, depend on the Gov of OK being a Dem; which is possible...

what about Rahm??

Andrew Cuomo?

What about him? He would be an ex-Chief of Staff to the POTUS; No one has won the Presidency from there; but Dick Cheney managed to get to VP.

I think he is too divisive, too aggressive, and probably more of a backroom boy than on the shop front to be h onest. I have seen elsewhere him say he would like to return to Illinois as Representative after his service in the White House too.

As to Cuomo; maybe the shyness gene runs in son like father? I will have AC down as a potential Vice Presidential choice, however.

...Gavin Newsom! Its a guess, if he wins Governor in 2010 in California.

Vice Presidential pick perhaps? Then again he does seem to have difficulty keeping it in his trousers. Not sure the Democratic Party would want to buy into that after the wholesome image of Barack Obama.

I think your take on the Republicans is right-on; awesome, realistic choices. And I'm really glad you left Palin out of 2012, and tossed John Huntsman in the mix as well.

I also like the Democratic side (the JE story is interesting, and one I hadn't thought of), but I'd like to lobby that you include one other person: Hillary Clinton. And I've lobbied for this before on someones 2016 scenario thread (unsuccessfully I think), but I still think the argument is relevant. I'll just post it here.

" . . . I get your argument here, I really do. But regarding a Hillary Clinton run in 2016, I'm not so sure that "old age", in and of itself, is the issue. McCain received so much flack for the "age issue" because he gave a few reasons for people to perhaps question his senility - i.e., not remembering the number of homes he owns, occasional bumbling on the stump, etc. And for that matter, wasn't Reagan 68 or 69 when he ran for president? I think "age" was an issue with him too, but again, didn't he make a few mistakes that caused people to question his senility?

Whether or not Hillary Clinton is a viable candidate in 2016 truly depends on the number of mistakes she makes. If she remains intellectually sharp on the trail, then I doubt age will be an issue. If she starts fumbling, or acting confused (as McCain and Reagan arguably did at times), then I can see her suffering as a result. But make no doubt about it, absent a huge misstep in her role as Sec. of State, or absent a terribly unsuccessful Obama Administration, she will likely give it another go in 2016 (again, assuming Obama is still reasonably popular). And I believe Hillary will be 68 during a large part of her run for the presidency, and will turn 69 just a couple weeks before the 2016 election is held. Say what you will of Hillary Clinton, it's hard to argue that she does not come across as an intellectually astute candidate. My hunch is that she will keep her mental wits about her over the next several years.

In summary, I'm not so sure that Hillary's age of 68-69 during the 2016 campaign will be a hindrance to her, assuming she runs at all, and assuming she's as sharp as she is now. Who knows? Public opinion polls have shown a fairly stark rise in Clinton's popularity since losing the Democratic nomination . . . maybe she would be viewed as America's Margaret Thatcher of the left in 2016 (wasn't Thatcher fairly old during her tenure as British PM?), kind of like "America's smart and steady grandmother?" All speculation, but I think it's possible. "

Given how close she came in 2008, and given how much she clearly wanted it, I don't think it's at all unlikely that she'll give it another go with a HIGHLY popular Obama Administration that she was likely a part of up until 2015 (which is when she would naturally step down to run for president). Plus, Secretary of State is some what a vaulted position in American politics - a Hillary Clinton, 6 year Sec of State, 8 year Senator, and former First Lady, might look very attractive to Americans. Just my two cents.

I'm looking forward to this scenario...keep us posted.

I think your take on the Republicans is right-on; awesome, realistic choices. And I'm really glad you left Palin out of 2012, and tossed John Huntsman in the mix as well.

I also like the Democratic side (the JE story is interesting, and one I hadn't thought of), but I'd like to lobby that you include one other person: Hillary Clinton. And I've lobbied for this before on someones 2016 scenario thread (unsuccessfully I think), but I still think the argument is relevant. I'll just post it here.

" . . . I get your argument here, I really do. But regarding a Hillary Clinton run in 2016, I'm not so sure that "old age", in and of itself, is the issue. McCain received so much flack for the "age issue" because he gave a few reasons for people to perhaps question his senility - i.e., not remembering the number of homes he owns, occasional bumbling on the stump, etc. And for that matter, wasn't Reagan 68 or 69 when he ran for president? I think "age" was an issue with him too, but again, didn't he make a few mistakes that caused people to question his senility?

Whether or not Hillary Clinton is a viable candidate in 2016 truly depends on the number of mistakes she makes. If she remains intellectually sharp on the trail, then I doubt age will be an issue. If she starts fumbling, or acting confused (as McCain and Reagan arguably did at times), then I can see her suffering as a result. But make no doubt about it, absent a huge misstep in her role as Sec. of State, or absent a terribly unsuccessful Obama Administration, she will likely give it another go in 2016 (again, assuming Obama is still reasonably popular). And I believe Hillary will be 68 during a large part of her run for the presidency, and will turn 69 just a couple weeks before the 2016 election is held. Say what you will of Hillary Clinton, it's hard to argue that she does not come across as an intellectually astute candidate. My hunch is that she will keep her mental wits about her over the next several years.

In summary, I'm not so sure that Hillary's age of 68-69 during the 2016 campaign will be a hindrance to her, assuming she runs at all, and assuming she's as sharp as she is now. Who knows? Public opinion polls have shown a fairly stark rise in Clinton's popularity since losing the Democratic nomination . . . maybe she would be viewed as America's Margaret Thatcher of the left in 2016 (wasn't Thatcher fairly old during her tenure as British PM?), kind of like "America's smart and steady grandmother?" All speculation, but I think it's possible. "

Given how close she came in 2008, and given how much she clearly wanted it, I don't think it's at all unlikely that she'll give it another go with a HIGHLY popular Obama Administration that she was likely a part of up until 2015 (which is when she would naturally step down to run for president). Plus, Secretary of State is some what a vaulted position in American politics - a Hillary Clinton, 6 year Sec of State, 8 year Senator, and former First Lady, might look very attractive to Americans. Just my two cents.

I'm looking forward to this scenario...keep us posted.

Hillary. I am umming and ahhing over this one. As much as I like her (and I would have loved her to win the nomination this time) I think that 2008 was her year to lose. I think you're right, age is only an issue if you make it an issue yourself, especially if you look good. Thatcher was old, but PM is a dramatically different position than POTUS. You're not expected to be thrusting and dynamic as PM, rather, cutting and aggressive at the Dispatch Box; which Mrs T seemed to have a particular knack at...;)

Maybe I'll chicken out and put her in but off by default.

Perhaps she was offered a Supreme Court seat sometime in the second term...

I would be for putting Secretary Clinton in as an "Off by Default" candidate, though I sincerely doubt she will run. She certainly won't get SCOTUS, though--even if age wouldn't stop a Presidential run, it would stop a Supreme Court nomination.

I suggested Newsom mostly because Jerry Brown is already as old as John McCain.

Another Gov. Democrat I think would fit here would be Colorado Governor Bill Ritter, he is a big picture minded guy.

Jerry Brown days when he could be a semi serious candidate are well gone. I think Gavin Newsom has probably got too many skeletons in his not inconsiderable closet to run for POTUS.

Bill Ritter was on a list I was compiling of potential candidates. Didn't make the final cut though. What does he offer that no other candidate does? Other than a Democrat who is personally anti-abortion.

I would be for putting Secretary Clinton in as an "Off by Default" candidate, though I sincerely doubt she will run. She certainly won't get SCOTUS, though--even if age wouldn't stop a Presidential run, it would stop a Supreme Court nomination.

I'm not so sure the age is the only thing that would stop SCOTUS. She is a politician now and you can guarantee the vote would be on partisan lines to confirm her. Too divisive I think, too controversial.

I think I will put her in, but default off.

Thank you for your interest one and all; but this is my first project and I am still feeling my way into Campaigns Forever; so I do apologise for the protracted nature of this.

I have hit my first problem, I have added my candidates, but I seem unable to change their home state; if they are edited from preexisting candidates, their state stays the same; ie Bill Richardson becomes Lisa Madigan but I cannot change his home state! I created M Bloomberg and I can't change his home state from Alabama!

Thank you for your interest one and all; but this is my first project and I am still feeling my way into Campaigns Forever; so I do apologise for the protracted nature of this.

I have hit my first problem, I have added my candidates, but I seem unable to change their home state; if they are edited from preexisting candidates, their state stays the same; ie Bill Richardson becomes Lisa Madigan but I cannot change his home state! I created M Bloomberg and I can't change his home state from Alabama!

You have an old version of Campaigns Forever. You need to update.

http://theoryspark.com/help/political_game...on-information/

Secretary of the Environment? Why not make him the Environment Czar?

Because I basically envisioned the EPA becoming a Cabinet Department over the next eight years; so he is in effect "Environment Czar"

I like your Breakdown of Candidates you have obviously put in alot of thought into who your going with. The only thing i would suggest is maybe adding Mark Sanford. I know you have Gary Johnson in as a libertarian leaning Candidate but Sanford might be a more mainstream Libertarian presence. Also may i ask who was the 2012 GOP VP candidate?

I like your Breakdown of Candidates you have obviously put in alot of thought into who your going with. The only thing i would suggest is maybe adding Mark Sanford. I know you have Gary Johnson in as a libertarian leaning Candidate but Sanford might be a more mainstream Libertarian presence. Also may i ask who was the 2012 GOP VP candidate?

Mark Sanford; he was another one on the shortlist that never made it to the shorter list. He will be on the VP list though.

2012 I imagine Mitt Romney being the only "big beast" to throw his hat into the ring, because of the problems inherant in unseating a popular incumbent, especially one as popular as Obama. Other, less nationally known candidates challenged him, with one eye on the 2016 election. Romney approached Sarah Palin for the VP slot first, but she turned him down. Following that both Sanford and MN Gov., Timothy Pawlenty were vetted, with Pawlenty getting the nod. Perhaps after I create this scenario and have some more free time I make the 2012 scenario!

Archived