270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sean

United States Presidential Election, 1960 - BETA

Excellent, now all we need is the 1964 election, with Kennedy off by default.

Wouldn't it be subtly different?

IIRC the election campaign was put on hold for a long time out of respect for JFK; so a 1964 scenario with him would start much sooner.

Theres rumours, not very credible, that he'd replace LBJ as his running mate, too.

Excellent, now all we need is the 1964 election, with Kennedy off by default.

Agreed, although I'm still holding out hope for that 1972 scenario. *salivates*

Agreed, although I'm still holding out hope for that 1972 scenario. *salivates*

'72?? AHHH SOME ONE NEEDS TO DO IT! 1960-2016 anyone?

There's a thread about it here, but it seems to have died, unfortunately.

I'll be reviving it within the next few weeks. 1960 was easier than I thought it would be, so I'll give 1972 the old college try.

I started working on it but got way in over my head. I can help with candidate positions as i have what may be the most interesting political book ever: The 1978 Almanac of American Politics. This helps with one of the most difficult problems with making a historical scenario: candidate positions. The combination of key votes and interest group ratings should give us a good idea about Humphrey, Muskie, McGovern and any other senators i'm missing (maybe Ashbrooke too). So yeah, i would love to help.

I started working on it but got way in over my head. I can help with candidate positions as i have what may be the most interesting political book ever: The 1978 Almanac of American Politics. This helps with one of the most difficult problems with making a historical scenario: candidate positions. The combination of key votes and interest group ratings should give us a good idea about Humphrey, Muskie, McGovern and any other senators i'm missing (maybe Ashbrooke too). So yeah, i would love to help.

Cool. Some of the more established interest groups (Americans For Democratic Action, for one) have old ratings. They give a general liberal/conservative scale. Plus, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 painted a pretty detailed picture.

May I humbly suggest Hunter S Thompson as a McGovern crusader? ;)

On a serious note, is it at all possible to simulate the Eagleton VP fiasco?

You probably could, though it could be difficult. One thing I would want to avoid the campaign events that are 100%. They basically ensure that one candidate will win and one will lose. This happens in 1980, where Kennedy always looses to Carter. I think the events should be in the system, just not guaranteed, like the Canuck letter wouldn't necessarily happen.

Here is my list of candidates that I think should be included (list taken from Wikipedia). I'm gonna list them in order of strength

Democrats:

Default On:

Senator Ed Muskie (ME)

Vice-President Hubert Humphrey (MN)

Senator George McGovern (SD)

Governor George Wallace (AL)

Senator Scoop Jackson (WA)

Senator Eugene McCarthy (MN)

Representative Shirley Chisholm (NY)

Governor Terry Sanford (NC)

Mayor John Lindsay (NY)

Mayor Sam Yorty (CA)

Representative Wilbur Mills (AR)

Senator Vance Hartke (IN)

Senator Fred Harris (OK)

Senator Harold Hughes (IA)

Default Off:

Senator Ted Kennedy (MA)

Senator Walter Mondale (MN)

Senator Birch Bayd (IN)

Senator William Proxmire (WI)

Attorney General Ramsey Clark (OH)

Representative Wayne Hays (OH)

Republicans

President Richard Nixon (CA)

Representative John Ashbrook (OH)

Representative Pete McCloskey (CA)

General Harold Stassen (MN)

American Independent Party

Representative John Schmitz (CA)

Governor George Wallace (AL) Default Off

Libertarian Party

John Hospers (CA)

I don't know if you adressed this or not, but the interview shows are set as The Oprah Winfrey Show, Chris Matthews' Hardball, The Daily Show, The O'Reilly Factor, The Letterman Show, The Jay Leno Show.

A minor and silly problem. :)

I don't know if you adressed this or not, but the interview shows are set as The Oprah Winfrey Show, Chris Matthews' Hardball, The Daily Show, The O'Reilly Factor, The Letterman Show, The Jay Leno Show.

A minor and silly problem. :)

No, good catch. I'll have version 1.2.1 out within the week.

May I humbly suggest Hunter S Thompson as a McGovern crusader? ;)

On a serious note, is it at all possible to simulate the Eagleton VP fiasco?

Why would have to be? If you win as McGovern use hindsight and don't pick Eagleton?

From my basic understanding of the game engine I don't think it can do that at all. Maybe if you do pick him though have lots of -ive momentum at the start; especially considering he was the "Acid Abortion Amnesty" source, too.

Then again, from what I've read and understand, if they'd given him anything more than just a cursory background check they would have found out his personal problems quite quickly.

Does anybody have this scenario? Could you please send it to me? Thanks.

www.jamesrobertmclaughlin@yahoo.com

The download link isn't working. Can someone please fix it, or send it to me? cowsofwonderland@gmail.com

I am wondering if there is anyway that I can get access to this scenario. The link is down or overloaded, and it was never apparently sent to Theoryspark (that, or it was better than their current version and "shelved"). I would like to begin work on the 1950's with this as a base, but I have no idea where to get it. If you do have it, please send it here: jamesrobertmclaughlin@yahoo.com

Would love to play this. If anyone has it and is actually reading this, please send me a copy.

csm_lyly@hotmail.com

Hey guys,

We have v. 1.2, and will be adding it to scenarios.theoryspark.com shortly.

Anthony Burgoyne

Lead Game Designer

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

Would love to play this. If anyone has it and is actually reading this, please send me a copy.

csm_lyly@hotmail.com

I downloaded this scenario from the website. Every time I run it the Democratic candidates always seem to select themselves as their running mate. How can I stop this?

JCS

I downloaded this scenario from the website. Every time I run it the Democratic candidates always seem to select themselves as their running mate. How can I stop this?

JCS

They shouldn't be able to. I just looked through all the candidates, none of them are allowed to take themselves as Veep. You may want to check your own scenario and see if that's the case, if not, just remove themselves from their Veep list.