270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

United States 1848

I'm making a slightly updated version of this scenario. I've compiled a few pre-Civil War Southern flags, thanks to pilight and a South Carolina historical site, and have been trying to update populations from the 1860 census (as 1848 was built on my initial shell for 1860) to the 1850 census (which is the closest to this election) only to discover that there are no population records in it for any New England state other than Maine. I'm assuming, as sometimes happened in those days, that records for those states were lost or inadvertedly destroyed. Does anyone know where I may find a reasonable estimate of population and white male population 21 or older from those states for that year?

• Upvote 1

I'm making a slightly updated version of this scenario. I've compiled a few pre-Civil War Southern flags, thanks to pilight and a South Carolina historical site, and have been trying to update populations from the 1860 census (as 1848 was built on my initial shell for 1860) to the 1850 census (which is the closest to this election) only to discover that there are no population records in it for any New England state other than Maine. I'm assuming, as sometimes happened in those days, that records for those states were lost or inadvertedly destroyed. Does anyone know where I may find a reasonable estimate of population and white male population 21 or older from those states for that year?

The 1850 census does lack individual state breakdowns, but page xlii of this summary has a chart of the states' white population broken down by age and gender:

http://www2.census.gov/prod2/decennial/documents/1850a-02.pdf

Here's a slight update converting SC's eligible voters to it's actual number from it's number of legislators, which actually makes it competitive for the Whigs to take and makes it functional in their primaries. A fudge for playability.

http://drop.io/gvqo2cc#

• Upvote 1