270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
matvail2002

Canada 2008-PCP

Ok, a few years ago, a rise of the PCP scenario made made for PM4E Canada. I made a re-work on it (especially the ridings and such). The scenario is not very realistic but it's a lot of fun for each of the four main parties having a real chance to win the election.

Ok, a made a timeline for my alternate history scenario:

8th of October 2002: The PQ have its most profond crisis since it's foundation due to a corruption scandal called the ''Hydrogate''. 16 former Péquistes are joining Mario Dumont with the ADQ and 8 others join the Liberal Party and 4 are forming a new left-wing party.

20th of October 2002: The PQ's gouvernement implodes and an election is called for the 8th of december.

8th of December 2002: The Quebec Liberal party wins 100 seats with 20 seats to the ADQ and 5 seats to a new Left Nationalist Coalition.

8th of Avril 2003: The Sponsorship scandal begins, however the main ''target'' of the scandal were Ontario and Alberta and not Québec, as in real life.

8th of Avril 2004: The Progressive Canadian (PC) Party is formed, it is composed of many former PCers, some former Liberals and some former members of the Green Party such as Jim Harris and Elizabeth May. There are also some centrist and right-wing Québec nationalists in the party. The party is leaded by Joe Clark.

8th of May 2004: An election is called for June 22th.

22th of June 2004: A minority Conservative gouvernement was elected with the balance of power to the PC. The Conservative than do an informal centrist coalition with the PC Party.

28th of June 2004: Due to an internal crisis in the Bloc due to its poor results in the 2004 election (only 14 seats), 8 members of the Bloc cross the floor to the NDP and 2 to the PC Party.

8th of October 2005: Secret conferences were held in Quebec City to have a new constitutionnal accord with all the provincial prime ministers and First Nations Leaders. The accord was made public the next day.

8th of April 2006: A referendum was held on the Accord. The YES win by a landslide 74.8% to 25,2% to the NO.

April 2006: The ADQ is now the main nationalist party in the Quebec's National Assembly.

20th of April 2006: Jean Charest step down as PM of Québec to become leader of the PC Party. Philippe Couilliard is his sucessor.

28th of April 2006: Mario Dumont step down as leader of the ADQ in Québec to be the ''Québec Lieutenant'' for the Conservative Party.

April 2006: For the first time ever the federal NPD is polling around 20% in Quebec.

October 2006: The PC is now polling around 30% nationally.

April 2007: John Manley resigns as the Liberal Party leader to be remplaced by Stéphane Dion.

April 2007: The federal NPD is polling 30% in Quebec and the PC Party is polling 25% in Quebec.

8th of May 2008: An election is called for the 28th of June 2008.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I've almost done for a Beta Version but I must tell you that I only re-done a small rework on ridings from an earlier scenario found on 80soft.com scenario page.

But I just have a question for you:

Since the PCP and the Conservatives had similar issue on many subjects (especially fiscally), I have decided to put only one candidate for both party for many ridings.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Also, as Elizabeth May is the unofficial leader of the ''Green'' wing of the PCP no Liberal is running against her (she is in a BC riding).

So basically,

The PCP will be strong in Newfoundland and Labrador with Danny Williams as candidate.

It will be a third-way race in Nova Scotia (Liberals,PCP and NPD).

The PCP and the Liberals will be tied in New Brunswick with about 2-3 Conservative seats.

The NDP will have a slight lead in Québec with the PCP close behind.

It will be a three way race in Ontario between the Liberals, PCP and Conservatives.

Manitoba will be a three-way race (NDP, Conservatives and Liberals).

Saskatchewan will have a Conservative majority will maybe 1-2 NDP seats.

Alberta will be Conservative along with a few PCP seats where Conservative didn't run anybody.

BC will be played between the Conservatives, the NDP and the PCP (especially in Vancouver).

Yukon will be a four-way race.

NWT will be a two-way race between the NDP and the Liberal.

Nunavut will be PCP solid (the candidate is Paul Okalik, the current Premier of Nunavut).

There will be also coalitions available, basically four coalitions are feasible in real life and in the scenario:

Conservative-PCP (Very likely and logical).

Liberal-NDP (Logical as this was done in the past).

Liberal-PCP (Possible in some ways).

PCP-NDP (Not very possible but feasible).

• Upvote 1

I know its just a scenario but i think some of your star candidates are a little far fetched.

Since this set in 2008 I cant see any of the current premiers you have stepping down to run for federal office this would include. Danny Williams, Rodney MacDonald, Dalton McGuinty, Brad Wall, and Gary Doer. Out of those the only one i could see running maybe would be Williams and only if he was the leader of the PCP but since you said Charest was their leader i doubt williams would run i would add him as an alternate leader for the PCP though. the other guys i just cant see stepping down it wouldn't make political sense.

To go along with the premiers some of the provincial opposition leaders you have i don't think would realistically run for federal office. Carole James looks like she might form the next government in BC i doubt she would leave to run for the federal NDP same goes for Darrel Dexter in Nova Scotia.

I would also scratch some of the old timers. I doubt Mike Harris would come out of retirement same with Ralph Klein and Ernie Eves i mean all these guys are in their late 60s.

I doubt Bouchard would come back too the guy would be 70. Joe Clarke would probably of retired after losing the leadership of the PCP to Charest he also would be 70. Kim Campbell aswell she isn't quite as old as the others but still she hasn't been a relevant political force in over 10 years.

Peter Mansbrige i think is a stretch but if you are going to add him i think he would most likely be a liberal. If your going to include him why not Don Cherry for the Conservatives. Also why not Michael pinball Clemons in Toronto somewhere, i have no idea what party though, most likely liberal.

Lorne Calvert could be a possibility for the NDP in Saskatchewan, and Carole Taylor for the Liberals or PCP in BC.

At the end of the day this your scenario and your doing all the work so you can do what you want i just wanted to give some advice on the direction i would go.

As per that, I am thanking you for your constructive comments, but the main reason why I made this scenario fictionnal is for the reason that I wanted to add some ''far-fetched'' candidates and a new party to add more fun to the game.

• Upvote 1

I know its just a scenario but i think some of your star candidates are a little far fetched.

Since this set in 2008 I cant see any of the current premiers you have stepping down to run for federal office this would include. Danny Williams, Rodney MacDonald, Dalton McGuinty, Brad Wall, and Gary Doer. Out of those the only one i could see running maybe would be Williams and only if he was the leader of the PCP but since you said Charest was their leader i doubt williams would run i would add him as an alternate leader for the PCP though. the other guys i just cant see stepping down it wouldn't make political sense.

To go along with the premiers some of the provincial opposition leaders you have i don't think would realistically run for federal office. Carole James looks like she might form the next government in BC i doubt she would leave to run for the federal NDP same goes for Darrel Dexter in Nova Scotia.

I would also scratch some of the old timers. I doubt Mike Harris would come out of retirement same with Ralph Klein and Ernie Eves i mean all these guys are in their late 60s.

I doubt Bouchard would come back too the guy would be 70. Joe Clarke would probably of retired after losing the leadership of the PCP to Charest he also would be 70. Kim Campbell aswell she isn't quite as old as the others but still she hasn't been a relevant political force in over 10 years.

Peter Mansbrige i think is a stretch but if you are going to add him i think he would most likely be a liberal. If your going to include him why not Don Cherry for the Conservatives. Also why not Michael pinball Clemons in Toronto somewhere, i have no idea what party though, most likely liberal.

Lorne Calvert could be a possibility for the NDP in Saskatchewan, and Carole Taylor for the Liberals or PCP in BC.

At the end of the day this your scenario and your doing all the work so you can do what you want i just wanted to give some advice on the direction i would go.

• Upvote 1

Nunavut will be PCP solid (the candidate is Paul Okalik, the current Premier of Nunavut).

The current Premier of Nunavut is Eva Aariak.

Sorry, I just noticed the date of your election, and Okalik was still Premier at that time.

Edited by Caper08
  • Upvote 1