270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mrdie

1932 election

Here's the beta. (Do not run in primaries, the game will crash. Run it in general election)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TPITTQGS

Thanks. This scenario ran pretty well when I tried it.

I did really well as FDR. The only state Hoover won was New Hampshire, which he barely won in real life.

I turned on Norman Thomas and he got about 2.1% of the vote - almost identical to his real vote total.

When I space bar as Norman Thomas he gets around 5.5% and up to 13% in some states.

That's odd. When I played as FDR, Thomas got 2.1% as the computer. I think he got 2.2% in real life.

I wonder what's causing that.

So... repeating my call for help here. If I can't get any, I'll just continue but have the rest of the third-party candidates ('cept Thomas) off.

As you said, I did manage to get the Third Parties to do realistically poorly in US 1996. I'm not really sure what factor did that, though. If you'd like, you can open the '96 files and examine all code pertaining to the Third Parties to see if it gives you some inspiration. I hope that helps.

I'm going to return to this scenario in a bit and basically do fairly ahistorical primaries (e.g. like modern times) in the name of gameplay and getting a non-beta version out the door. Any heads up? (What candidates should do relatively well where, etc. except in the most obvious of places)

Not much progress due to being busy. Anyone want to suggest alternate primaries candidates? (Besides the obvious Huey Long)

Also, what would be a good length for the primaries?

Former President Calvin Coolidge is an obvious choice for the Republicans; He was very popular, and had managed to avoid the blame for the Stock market crash.

Former President Calvin Coolidge is an obvious choice for the Republicans; He was very popular, and had managed to avoid the blame for the Stock market crash.

He refused to run, though, and died before Inauguration Day.

Al Smith and John Nance Garner were strong candidates. Wikipedia has a good rundown of those who actually sought the nomination.

I think you need to make a lower percentage undecided, as third parties seem to get a disproportionate amount of them.