270soft Forum
Patine

Austria 2008

So, do you have any news or screenshots about this scenario?

I've now finished the issue positions and priorities on the scenario file, as well as the default_parties_on and regions_candidates_running files, and also I've done four of the eight candidate files and pictures. Finding a lot of detailed information that's not in German is getting to be a challenge. I'll post again shortly.

I think I've got a good grip on how to do constuency seats, now (though I haven't completely figured out the ConstuencyEditor; I'll read the help file, though). But how do I now add and set the number of block seats for each region?

Okay, I've figured out the Constituency Editor, and found the Austrian official government elections site http://wahl08.bmi.gv.at/ . Navigating half-blindly through German text, I found a blow-by-blow view of each regional constituency, with all the parties and their percentages therein, but it doesn't have the candidates from each party in each regional constituency. Anyone have any idea where I can find the candidates?

One more thing. I'm quite sure all relevant files (electorate_trends, region_variables, regional_centres, regional_parties_running, and ridings) all indicate 9 regions (even that statement in electorate_trends that's just a number, which I can imagine many overlooked), but when I try to start the scenario, I get a 'province not found' error. Also, when I attempt to use Scenario Checker, it gets an error in the middle of checking. Would someone be willing to look at the relevant files for me and see what's wrong?

So, a quick question: should I have the state names in their English translations (which they currently are) or their proper German names (like the states in the two Germany scenarios that come with this game)? Plus, does anyone have answers to my three questions in the above posts on this page?

Okay, I definitely need three questions answered, and I hope someone does answer them. First, does anyone know where I can find the actual names of candidates for each party for each regional constituency (the official Austrian elections site only has each party's percentages in each one)? Second, how do I determine the number of block seats (as opposed to riding seats) per state? Where do I enter that, or have it calculated? And third, does anyone know the major endorsers in this election? I appreciate any answers, or attempts at answers.

Okay, I definitely need three questions answered, and I hope someone does answer them. First, does anyone know where I can find the actual names of candidates for each party for each regional constituency (the official Austrian elections site only has each party's percentages in each one)? Second, how do I determine the number of block seats (as opposed to riding seats) per state? Where do I enter that, or have it calculated? And third, does anyone know the major endorsers in this election? I appreciate any answers, or attempts at answers.

1) Try this for candidates: the list of party members in the National Council. Also try this: the official election site- with candidate names, party and seats by region.

2) Don't worry about Bloc seats- the game already puts them in for you- it's based off population, the current ridings, and party percentages.

3) Endorsers: Austrian Trade Union Federation, Economic Chamber of Austria, Federation of Austrian Industry, Chamber of Labor, Conference of the Presidents of Farmers' Chambers, Catholic Action, Austrian National Union of Students, and Neutral Free Austria. There are also some newspapers like Kronen Zeitung (which apparently is read by like 1/3 of the voting population).

• Upvote 1

1) Try this for candidates: the list of party members in the National Council. Also try this: the official election site- with candidate names, party and seats by region.

2) Don't worry about Bloc seats- the game already puts them in for you- it's based off population, the current ridings, and party percentages.

3) Endorsers: Austrian Trade Union Federation, Economic Chamber of Austria, Federation of Austrian Industry, Chamber of Labor, Conference of the Presidents of Farmers' Chambers, Catholic Action, Austrian National Union of Students, and Neutral Free Austria. There are also some newspapers like Kronen Zeitung (which apparently is read by like 1/3 of the voting population).

Thank you, GOP Progressive. This should greatly help!

I can't seem to find the actual candidate lists on the official election site. I can find mention of the lists, but they're not clickable. My German's not as good as it could be, and the English translated parts are only a very small part of the site. Could you direct me to where I may find the candidate names by telling me where to click or linking the exact page, please? I'd really appreciate it. I've already found the part with the party percentages by constituency, though.

Okay, I've figured this out. It would appear Austrians do things a bit differently than most other democracies. I talked to a friend of mine who lives in Austria, and has his whole life (he initially gave me some pointers on this scenario, but I've been out of touch with him lately until now), and Austrian parties don't have standing candidates in each constituency. Instead, voters put BOTH their primary and secondary vote for just a party, and the party selects a candidate from it's list (notice the link you gave me GOP Progressive are just lists of candidates per state with no constituencies) to fill each constituency and block seat they win. This way, each party that wins seats guarantees it's top members get in. So, I'm just going to put [Given Party] List under each riding candidate name and give it a rating of 2 or 3. Any thoughts on this proposed way of doing things?

Okay, I've figured this out. It would appear Austrians do things a bit differently than most other democracies. I talked to a friend of mine who lives in Austria, and has his whole life (he initially gave me some pointers on this scenario, but I've been out of touch with him lately until now), and Austrian parties don't have standing candidates in each constituency. Instead, voters put BOTH their primary and secondary vote for just a party, and the party selects a candidate from it's list (notice the link you gave me GOP Progressive are just lists of candidates per state with no constituencies) to fill each constituency and block seat they win. This way, each party that wins seats guarantees it's top members get in. So, I'm just going to put [Given Party] List under each riding candidate name and give it a rating of 2 or 3. Any thoughts on this proposed way of doing things?

Ah gotcha. I suppose you could do that, just to be realistic.

To accomodate the scenario file, I would just find Austrian politician names and put them in there as best I could.,

• Upvote 1

I've decided to take your advice, GOP Progressive, and insert names from the top of each region's party lists into the constuencies, to add more flavour to said constituencies and the scenario as a whole.

Okay, I think I'm close to being done this. Currently chugging thorough constituencies. After that, there's only ad types and endorsers (the latter graciously provided by GOP Progressive), and then it should be ready for playtest.

I've hit a snag. The segment of the Austrian Ministry of the Interior website that had the percentages for each party in each regional constituency seems to be down, and I don't know when it'll be back up. I have to wait till it's restored before continuing.

I've hit a snag. The segment of the Austrian Ministry of the Interior website that had the percentages for each party in each regional constituency seems to be down, and I don't know when it'll be back up. I have to wait till it's restored before continuing.

Ooh, unlucky, i was looking forward to this.

Is there an alternate source of percentages in the 2008 election for each party by regional constituency, perchance?

Is there an alternate source of percentages in the 2008 election for each party by regional constituency, perchance?

Good news! My friend working in the Austrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, a lifetime native of the country, provided me with a spreadsheet with all the data I had just been denied. This scenario should be done shortly. :)