270soft Forum
Patine

Austria 2008

I plan on buying Chancellor Forever later this week, and I thought a scenario for the Austrian elections that just took place might be a good first scenario for this game. As I'm currently juggling several ideas already, it won't be quick, but the wait should give time for the drama over the governing coalition to resolve itself. I have an instant messenger friend in Austria who works for a government ministry and provides a valuable insight into Austrian politics. There will be five parties of significance:

-Social Democratic Party

-Austrian People's Party

-Freedom Party

-Alliance for the Future of Austria

-Green Party

The fact that the Freedom Party and the Alliance for the Future of Austria have virtually the same platform, and are only seperate (and at low relations, as well) due to a leadership schism, may have unexpected results in the game engine.

I need to consult my Austrian friend and do some online research before tackling issues, though I know a major tax code overhaul and continued EU membership were among them, and the Freedom Party and Alliance for the Future of Austria made immigration and deporting immigrant criminals issues.

• Upvote 1

Great. Would love to see this. I was going to do this one, as my next European election scenario, after the 5 i have planned, but it would've been months and months away. Nevermind then B) .

There's going to be a delay on this one; seems I won't be able to get my Chancellor 4E till later this month due to cash flow issues. I'll still be researching the election in the meantime.

• Upvote 1

Okay, I have a Chancellor 4E. Now I can at least get started with the basics of this scenario. Anyone know of a good map?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the support! Could you dispense with the constituency-based seats and just use the 'secondary vote' PR seats in each region, or would the game crash? If that wouldn't work, maybe just one constuency per region (ideally the regions would be the nine states) as an 'anchor' seat, just to make the game functional, and the rest in a region being PR.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the support! Could you dispense with the constituency-based seats and just use the 'secondary vote' PR seats in each region, or would the game crash? If that wouldn't work, maybe just one constuency per region (ideally the regions would be the nine states) as an 'anchor' seat, just to make the game functional, and the rest in a region being PR.

I think that would work. I have a provisional map now at http://www.peter-ould.net/austria/map.bmp, but I'm working on making it a touch tidier.

The map looks great so far! I'll look into assembling a full set of issues, as well as regional polls at the start of the election.

• Upvote 1

The map looks great so far! I'll look into assembling a full set of issues, as well as regional polls at the start of the election.

How is this for a set of issues? I did some research through wikipedia.

Issues

Armed Forces

Child Care

Crime

Economy

Education

Environment

European Union

Immigration

Inflation

Multiculturalism

Pensions

Privatisation

Social Issues

Smoking Ban

Tax Reform

Transport

Turkey

Welfare State

• Upvote 1

That's great, and looks about right! A quick question. How do you have the regions file identify different regions on the map? I'm used to doing it with Camapigns 4E for P4E+P scenarios you where just click and select. Do I need to somehow mark the regions on the map and crossreference the markings with the file, or what?

• Upvote 1

That's great, and looks about right! A quick question. How do you have the regions file identify different regions on the map? I'm used to doing it with Camapigns 4E for P4E+P scenarios you where just click and select. Do I need to somehow mark the regions on the map and crossreference the markings with the file, or what?

All right. What you have to do is get a program like paint or photoshop that lets you "show grid" on the map file. Just allocate the coordinates into the appropriate space in the regions file.

You seem to have the right idea. It's a total pain, but you feel accomplished when you complete the task. Do you get what I'm saying?

• Upvote 1

That'd be awesome! Remember to include deportation of immigrant criminals in the right stance of the Crime issue, as the Freedom Party proposed that idea and ran it as part of their platform. Also, you might want to mention conscription under the Armed Forces issue, as it is in force in Austria, though as far as I know, only the Green Party actually opposes it (maybe have full left stance be in opposition).

Issues

Armed Forces

Child Care

Crime

Economy

Education

Environment

European Union

Immigration

Inflation

Multiculturalism

Pensions

Privatisation

Social Issues

Smoking Ban

Tax Reform

Transport

Turkey

Welfare State

@issue position descriptions

// left to right, 1 - 5

// Armed Forces Reform

Drastically reduce military spending, end conscription immediately.

Reduce military spending, rebuild armed forces into an all-volunteer force.

Leave military spending at current levels, look to be more efficient. Keep conscription.

Increase military budget, be more efficient. Keep conscription.

Significantly increase military funding to meet new threats. Increase duration of conscript service.

//Child Care

Completely public Childcare system. Allow same-sex couples to receive family benefits.

Public Childcare program, increase family benefits, and paid family leave.

Increase child tax credit, subsidize private child care programs.

Provide more tax relief and incentives for families.

Oppose any federal child care programs or parental leave.

@

//Environment

The environment always comes first. Raise taxes on pollution, especially carbon emissions.

Environment is a priority. Increase environmental standards and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

We must protect the environment. Need more recycling, meet our Kyoto targets.

Support market-based environmental incentives, and reduce environmental regulation.

The environment is fine, global warming is a hoax. Stop eco-bureaucracy.

//European Union

Abolish all state authority. The United States of Europe is a worthy goal.

Enlarge EU further and commit for more EU powers. Support Lisbon Treaty.

Support more common EU standards to promote unity. Reform European constitution.

Stop EU enlargement and restrict EU powers. Devolve more powers to the states.

Disband the European Union. Give power back to national states.

@

// Immigration

A multicultural Austria is our future. Dramatically relax immigration laws. Open borders!

Legal immigration is good for Austria. Provide greater rights to asylum seekers.

For immigration that our economy needs and genuine asylum seekers. Laws must be strictly obeyed.

Place strict quotas on immigration and asylum seekers. Crack down on criminal asylum seekers.

Immigration destroys our country. Stop it now, and expel criminal asylum seekers. Close borders.

@

//Multiculturalism

We must atone for our Nazi, racist past! Austria should welcome more immigrants from the third world.

We should embrace a multicultural heritage, best showcasing our tolerance and diversity.

We must move forward as a 'melting pot' nation. Maintain current multicultural programs.

Multiculturalism only encourages division. We must preserve our historic Western culture.

Celebrate and protect our Teutonic roots. Scrap all multicultural initiatives- and no more mosque constructions!

@

//Smoking Ban

Complete prohibition of cigarettes and tobacco products.

Ban smoking in certain public places. Raise tobacco taxes.

Increase taxes on tobacco products to discourage use.

Oppose the smoking ban. Keep taxation as is.

Reduce or abolish taxation of cigarettes and tobacco products.

@

//Transport

Raise car and petrol taxes to pay for comprehensive programme. Reduce car use.

Focus on creation of a national monorail and improvement of mass transit systems.

Increase bus subsidies, tax breaks for hybrid cars, and funding for rail system.

Scrap car tax. Reduce Petrol tax. More funding for road building and maintenance.

Abolish the petrol tax. Promote automobile use instead of mass transit.

@

//Turkey

Support Turkish membership immediately and consider including other Muslim states.

Support Turkish membership as a bridge to the Muslim world.

Demand reforms in Turkey before later admittance to EU.

Oppose Turkish membership in the EU. Hold referendum if EU considers issue.

Turkey does not share our values or heritage, and neither do its European allies.

@

• Upvote 1

The issues you've covered look very good, I must say. I'll try my hand at several of the remaining issues, notably Crime, Economy, Tax Reform, and Welfare State I'd like to try my hand at.

The issues you've covered look very good, I must say. I'll try my hand at several of the remaining issues, notably Crime, Economy, Tax Reform, and Welfare State I'd like to try my hand at.

All right. I can do others too. Just tell me which ones.

• Upvote 1

//Crime

We must address poverty and psychology as the roots of crime instead of punishing criminals.

Criminals should pay back the community through work and other service instead of prison.

Reform criminal code to make sentences more appropriate to both criminals and victims.

Harsher prison sentences and less parole time. Harder on youth criminals.

We must make criminals pay for their crimes! Deport immigrant criminals; they've abused their privilege of being here!

//Economy

Businesses should be more nationalized to directly control the economy during this recession.

A generous stimulus package should be injected into the economy, and regulations on corporate conduct made stricter.

A moderate stimulus package should be considered to help the ailing economy.

Businesses should only be given government aid if absolutely necassary.

Complete laissez-faire; businesses will sort out the economy themselves.

//Tax Reform

The proposed tax code reform is not enough! Higher taxes are needed to run all necassary government services!

The proposed tax code reform should be revised to tax higher-end earners more and be more lenient on the poor.

The tax code reform proposal should proceed as planned.

The previous tax code should be kept and the reform proposal scratched.

Taxes should be cut for all citizens!

//Welfare State

Complete welfare state! Everyone is supported by government programs from the cradle to the grave!

Generous welffare benefits for the unemployed and significant social programs.

Let's keep the staus quo; it's generous enough.

Cut welfare programs for all unemployed save the severely handicapped; encourage all to be productive.

No welfare programs; those who cannot work will be cared for by charities or their families.

How do these look?

I'd put the CR position on Welfare as some form of "welfare-to-work" proposal or making unempolyed work for the dole. The R position should have something about eliminating welfare and not wasting money on "the lazy."

• Upvote 1

I'd put the CR position on Welfare as some form of "welfare-to-work" proposal or making unempolyed work for the dole. The R position should have something about eliminating welfare and not wasting money on "the lazy."

Have we progressed any further with this/

Peter

Seeing as I'm no longer directly doing Reshmir, I think I can tackle this alongside US 1848 (my current P4E+P project) and South Guanjin 2009 or Nunavut 2004 (one of which will end up my current PM4E project). I have a good idea how to proceed on this one, two.

Okay, I've gotten some work done on this. The country, scenario (except issue positions, most of which are on this thread, which need to be entered), and region_variables files have been completed, as have the bitmaps and text files for the parties (though not yet candidates) and the national and state flags have been put in place. I'll update more of my progress as I do it.