270soft Forum
EGaffney

UK 1992

A new UK scenario - the 1992 general election. http://edwardgaffney.com/files/United%20Ki...%20-%201992.zip

Summary: 1992 is easily the closest UK general election of the last three decades - the only election since 1974 to feature neither Thatcher nor Blair as the victor. This scenario reflects that - even though the Conservatives begin with quite a lead, either they or the Labour Party can win. Complicating the situation is a new party - the Liberal Democrats - formed from the merger of the Social Democratic Party and the Liberals. The Lib Dems are still suffering from a lot of friction created at the time of the merger - many left-wing supporters have returned to Labour, and a rump Liberal party is drawing away a small number of voters. The Green Party has collapsed from its 15% peak at the 1989 European elections under the weight of in-fighting (and the very weird Mr. David Icke). Meanwhile, the Nationalists' agenda takes second place among regional voters to the recession and economic affairs. The same is true, of course, for every party.

Meanwhile, the period of the Troubles in Northern Ireland is petering out into the faint dawn of a Peace Process. Gerry Adams's seat - Sinn Féin's only seat - is under threat by the moderate SDLP. But the pact between the two Unionist parties continues to ensure their dominance in Northern Ireland affairs.

Please send any feedback you may have!

I played as the Tories and i felt, it reflected the closeness of the election well! It's challenging with the level of finances and nice to the Liberal party make an appearance!

I've seen quite a range of results... Major almost got 400 seats in one game I tested!

I don't know if the finances are in any way accurate. I don't even care all that much :D The point is the challenge which limited options creates - on the positive side, it's a much shorter campaign than many others. (Perhaps the campaign should begin with Norman Lamont's budget on 16 March.) The Lib Dems tend to do very well when given more money - £3 million keeps them at about the right level.

I thought the actual Conservative finances would be lower, but your's is actually correct. Well, 10.1 million, not far off. Labour had £7.1 million, Lib dems had £2.1 million. But if you want to keep those finances, that's fine. Lib Dems might struggle on 2 million. That's what i usually do in a scenario, and if i don't know the finance figures, if 2 parties are neck-and-neck, i'd give them the exact same money or round about.

To me the regionalism (regional centres) seems a bit off. You have some conservative regions as much further to the left than they should be.

However, the game itself is well-done. I'll just make some modifications of my own sometime.

• Upvote 1

I hate the regionalism part. It's the one thing I don't change because I have no clue how different regions in the UK think. I might try though.

A great scenario :D. The only real criticism I have to add is that events such as "The War of Jessica's Ear" and "The Sheffield Rally" weren't included.

I've just tried this scenario and was impressed by the way it played.

I played as the Lib Dems and ended up with 19% and 46 seats. This included 17 seats in the 'Western Counties'. At the beginning of the campaign I looked at the party goal of 50 seats. Trawling through the ridings, I felt that this was just going to elude me and decided on a strategy of winning 47 seats and hoped that I might see 3 more seats appear in the distance. Without wishing to make this post sound like one of Rimmer's Risk Campaign recitals, I won all the seats I set out to win except 3, fluked 1 seat where I did not even campaign and picked up an extra seat in 'Western Counties'.

The biggest factor in my success was the poor performance of the Tories who ended up with 257. Labour finished on 323, one short of a majority. On the whole, I would say that the scenario played out realistically enough even if the result was more akin to John Major having taken the stage at the Sheffield Rally.

Some comments about how the scenario was designed.

Firstly, it looked good, with good graphics and descriptions throughout.

The stand-out feature was the map/regions used. I think these were arbitrary, but loosely based on ITV regions, making about twice as many as normal. Each region was given roughly the same number of ridings. The media linked regions option was used which is a useful tool to prevent a player targeting regions too much. I applaud their use here but suggest that the Western Counties and West of England regions be linked to make it harder for the Lib Dems.

The Lib Dems were given an Establishment rating of only 3 which I would prefer to have been 4 to open up the campaign options closed out by media linking the west.

80soft designed the game as a 4 party game and it always plays easier if the main participants are the first 4 parties listed. The fourth listed party, the Greens are an irrelevance, the 5th listed party, always appearing on the next page, are the SNP. If the SNP, who were the 4th party in reality, are positioned 4th, it makes the game easier to follow.

I'm not sure what voting data was used in the ridings file, but it was probably the 1993 result. Fortunately, this did not ruin the 'feel' of the scenario as it would have done with a 1997 version.

Regarding the posted comments;

1.) I think it is important to set the campaign funding at the historically right amount. Reducing the LDs from £3m to £2m probably will be okay if you make the other two adjustments I suggest. I suspect that the Lab and Con computer players will always be left with loads of dosh unless the fundraising coefficient is lowered and that if you play as either Con or Lab you will probably win easily unless the campaign funds are reduced.

2.) In historical scenarios, Regional Centres should not in my view be used to reflect party strengths in any given region but to reflect a swing that in reality took place.

I would judge this as a good scenario on the grounds that having played it once, I am keen to play it again. Good effort Gaffers.

The stand-out feature was the map/regions used. I think these were arbitrary, but loosely based on ITV regions, making about twice as many as normal. Each region was given roughly the same number of ridings. The media linked regions option was used which is a useful tool to prevent a player targeting regions too much. I applaud their use here but suggest that the Western Counties and West of England regions be linked to make it harder for the Lib Dems.

Thank you. You are perfectly correct in your analysis of the regions - they are more or less based on the ITV regions.

The Lib Dems were given an Establishment rating of only 3 which I would prefer to have been 4 to open up the campaign options closed out by media linking the west.

Oh, that'd be far too generous! They do well enough compared to RL as it is. The Lib Dems were really only finding their feet around this time, I think - the party did quite poorly until the Tory collapse in 1993.

80soft designed the game as a 4 party game and it always plays easier if the main participants are the first 4 parties listed. The fourth listed party, the Greens are an irrelevance, the 5th listed party, always appearing on the next page, are the SNP. If the SNP, who were the 4th party in reality, are positioned 4th, it makes the game easier to follow.

I would be inclined to agree in this case.

I'm not sure what voting data was used in the ridings file, but it was probably the 1993 result. Fortunately, this did not ruin the 'feel' of the scenario as it would have done with a 1997 version.

The percentages are almost all identical to the final results in 1992. This means the Labour lead isn't reflected in the numbers - but did it ever really exist, or was it a statistical artefact of poor polling methods?

Regarding the posted comments;

1.) I think it is important to set the campaign funding at the historically right amount. Reducing the LDs from £3m to £2m probably will be okay if you make the other two adjustments I suggest. I suspect that the Lab and Con computer players will always be left with loads of dosh unless the fundraising coefficient is lowered and that if you play as either Con or Lab you will probably win easily unless the campaign funds are reduced.

2.) In historical scenarios, Regional Centres should not in my view be used to reflect party strengths in any given region but to reflect a swing that in reality took place.

I will reduce the fundraising coefficient. The Lib Dems tend to trend upwards in every UK scenario, because they rarely get hit by attack ads.

Many thanks for the copious comments.

A great scenario :D . The only real criticism I have to add is that events such as "The War of Jessica's Ear" and "The Sheffield Rally" weren't included.

Thanks. I will insert historical events.

An update will be imminent.

I just played the LDs again with the following changes;

Establishment up one to 4

W.England and Western Counties media linked.

I forgot to reduce funds from £3 to £2m.

Ended up with over 40 seats again with small Labour majority.

Reducing funds to £2m should do the trick.

Noticed the Liberal Party was described as a right wing breakaway which is misleading. It's initial policy programme for 1992 was very close to the pre-merger Liberal party platform c1987, including position on Defence.

Please download again: http://edwardgaffney.com/files/United%20Ki...%20-%201992.zip

The improvements mentioned above have been made.

Some candidates have been added, others fixed. The SNP was absent in one Scottish constituency!

Finances are now accurate for the three main parties.

Fundraising ability has been halved.

Regional centres have been changed - not very well though. Tory regions are right-wing, Labour regions are left-wing, and swing regions/N Scotland are centrist.

Events have been added, based on the BBC's webpage: http://www.bbc.co.uk/election97/background...ec/92keyiss.htm . Not all events will transpire as they did in real life...

The SNP are now a headline party.

DisplayName: if you have info on the Liberal Party's 1992 platform, I can update their stances.

Please download again: http://edwardgaffney.com/files/United%20Ki...%20-%201992.zip

DisplayName: if you have info on the Liberal Party's 1992 platform, I can update their stances.

I would suggest Defence: L. Env: C-L. NI: C-L and Eur: C [party only became anti-europe later on]

So, are the Liberals more to the left compared to Labour? :o

I thought that they were a centrist party until the New Labour came along?

The old 1980s (pre-merger) Liberal Party was to the left of the SDP on most issues and to the left of Labour on some issues. The 1990s (post-merger) Liberal Party kept it's positions the same on most issues. Broadley speaking, the Liberal Party have always been a centre-left party. I would say that the only occasions the Liberals/Lib Dems went into an election to the left of Labour on the key issues were; 1929, 2001 and 2005.

One last push: Updated, I don't think I will be doing any more work on this, so consider it more or less FINAL. Kinnock now starts in the lead but will probably lose it before Election Day...

Hi Edward (and anyone else who can help me)

For some perspective, I should let you know that my knowledge of all things computer & downloading etc is limited to say the least.

I bought PM forever UK (2005) some time ago and have enjoyed playing it. I happened across this forum recently and was intrigued at these various scenarios that you very clever people have created. I note that Edward has a link to download a 1992 version in the previous posts in this thread, I downloaded & extracted the files from the link BUT when I opened the download folder I didnt see anything that was like an "exe" file (which I know it the file that "runs" programs).

Have I missed something? Downloaded something incorrectly? Does the link no longer work? Did I need to register on the site before downloading (In which case should I try again)? I would love to try this scenario and any help anyone can give is appreciated.

You're probably chuckling at my naivety so go easy on me ;)

Hi Edward (and anyone else who can help me)

For some perspective, I should let you know that my knowledge of all things computer & downloading etc is limited to say the least.

I bought PM forever UK (2005) some time ago and have enjoyed playing it. I happened across this forum recently and was intrigued at these various scenarios that you very clever people have created. I note that Edward has a link to download a 1992 version in the previous posts in this thread, I downloaded & extracted the files from the link BUT when I opened the download folder I didnt see anything that was like an "exe" file (which I know it the file that "runs" programs).

Have I missed something? Downloaded something incorrectly? Does the link no longer work? Did I need to register on the site before downloading (In which case should I try again)? I would love to try this scenario and any help anyone can give is appreciated.

You're probably chuckling at my naivety so go easy on me ;)

Everything sounds OK. Here is what you do:

1. When you download the file, it should be a .zip file that contains a folder called "United Kingdom - 1992".

2. You need to extract that folder to your Prime Minister Forever\scenarios folder. If you use Vista, you can click "Extract all files" at the top of your folder. If not, you need software that can do that.

3. You extract the folder to the file path where your game scenarios are located. You can find this by right-clicking and selecting "Properties", then looking for the thing that begins with "C:". For example, mine is "C:\Program Files\Prime Minister Forever - Canada 2008\scenarios". It will look something like that, except referencing the UK in your case.

4. If my folder is in the scenarios section along with the other scenarios' folders, it should work when you load up the game.

Sorry if this is basic, but I don't know what level of computer skills you have.

Everything sounds OK. Here is what you do:

1. When you download the file, it should be a .zip file that contains a folder called "United Kingdom - 1992".

2. You need to extract that folder to your Prime Minister Forever\scenarios folder. If you use Vista, you can click "Extract all files" at the top of your folder. If not, you need software that can do that.

3. You extract the folder to the file path where your game scenarios are located. You can find this by right-clicking and selecting "Properties", then looking for the thing that begins with "C:". For example, mine is "C:\Program Files\Prime Minister Forever - Canada 2008\scenarios". It will look something like that, except referencing the UK in your case.

4. If my folder is in the scenarios section along with the other scenarios' folders, it should work when you load up the game.

Sorry if this is basic, but I don't know what level of computer skills you have.

Thanks for that. I was downloading to the wrong place! Seems to be OK now.

And yes my computer skills are extremely basic

Thanks again

Thanks for that. I was downloading to the wrong place! Seems to be OK now.

And yes my computer skills are extremely basic

Thanks again

No problem, please provide feedback if you have any.

No problem, please provide feedback if you have any.

Sorry I hadnt replied sooner...had a lot of issues to deal with offline lately! Yes it worked fine and I really enjoyed playing the scenario. I tried playing both Labour & Tories and got small majorities in each case so you seem to have got the balance just right. Brilliant!