270soft Forum

United States 2016

Patine

It is the year 2016. Palin is the incumbant, having been the US' first woman president (whether because McCain died or she won on her own in 2012 is irrelevant to the scenario), and she has been challenged in her own party by rising GOP stars. As well, the Dems have assembled a selection of candidates all ready to take the White House. To further complicate things, a new third party called the Restoration Party, led by multi-billionaire Arthur Green (a fictitious character) sees the US as a mess, economically and socially, and seek a 'restoration' of America (hence their name) on a broad-based platform that can take votes from both parties and potentially, if left alone by the two main parties, take EV's (in this case, I wanted an interesting third party with bite, like in the '68 and '92 scenarios).

Republicans:

-Sarah Palin

-Rik Santorum

-Bobby Jindal

-Mike Huckabee

-Mitt Romney (off by default)

-David Petraeus (off by default)

Democrats:

-Barack Obama

-Hillary Clinton

-Jay Rockefeller

-Mario Cuomo, Jr.

-Al Gore (off by default)

((I would like a few more. Who are some rising Dem stars?))

Restoration:

-Arthur Green (fictitious multi-billionaire)

Some issues previously not seen are:

-Cloning

-Internet Censorship

-Nanotechnology

-Russia

-Stem Cell Research

((Most other issues are from one previous scenario or another, as relevant, with different position text.))

Any ideas, anyone?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, don't make fictional characters for this. Second, there is no Mario Cuomo Jr. His name is Andrew Cuomo. Here are my candidates. My main suggestion is to have more third party candidates:

Democrats

Andrew Cuomo

Dan Boren

Artur Davis

Stephanie Herseth Sandlin

Gabrielle Giffords

Heath Shuler

Debbie Wasserman Schultz

Jack Markell

Brian Schweitzer

John Lynch

Joe Manchin

Mark Begich

Mark Pryor

Ronnie Musgrove

Jeanne Shaheen

Andrew Rice

Mark Warner

Evan Bayh

Tim Kaine

Republicans

Jon Huntsman, Jr.

Kenny Hulshof

Pat McCrory

Bobby Jindal

Sarah Palin

Eric Cantor

M. Jodi Rell

Charlie Crist

Linda Lingle

Libertarians

Richard Fontanesi

Bill Redpath

Yvonne Adams Schick

Bob Barr

Mary Ruwart

Wayne Allyn Root

George Phillies

Steve Kubby

Mike Jingozian

Christine Smith

Ron Paul

Penn Jillette

Gail Lightfoot

Greens

Gail Parker

Cynthia McKinney

Kat Swift

Elaine Brown

Rosa Clemente

Jesse Johnson

Matt Gonzalez

Independent

Michael Bloomberg

Constitution

Chuck Baldwin

Alan Keyes

Dan Imperato

Susan Ducey

Darrell Castle

Reform

Ted Weill

Frank McEnulty

Ralph Nader

Boston Tea

Charles Jay

Thomas Knapp

Todd Andrew Barnett

Thank you for the candidate suggestions, and correcting me on Cuomo's name. However, I must disagree on the fictional character; he's an essential part of the scenario plot design, along with his new party. I want Arthur Green to have the surprise factor Ross Perot or even Palin did to the American public. He comes out of obscurity, a self-made billionaire unknown to most save those that scrutinize carefully the Forbes Fortune 500, and has bold new ideas no established candidate known really fully shares, and his alliances among new and popular cable companies and Internet sites means he can transmit his ideas to the public. This is why a fictional character is needed. I'm sorry if you disagree.

I like the fictional candidate idea, and would gladly help with whatever you need.[

Thank you. :)

I do need a portrait. I thought one of two things. a)An actor whose played a president in a movie with a snapshot from that movie (possiby Kurt Douglas or Harrison Ford). I don't know if that would get me in trouble, though. Or, b)take a picture of some dignified older man I know in real life, and use it, with his permission. Any suggestions on that?

Just did that. He looks pretty presidential.

Now, I've got my GOP candidates figured out, most of the rest of the listed GOP suggestions above will likely go to the Veep list.

-Sarah Palin (incumbant)

-Rik Santorum

-Bobby Jindal

-Mike Huckabee

-David Petraus (off by default)

(I'm also debating Jacob Isakson, especially assuming he has also served a term as Governor of Georgia in addition to his senatorial career by 2016, but I've made no firm decision on him).

I'm still figuring out which Dems will be candidates, and which will go on the Veep list (and which won't appear).

I'm still debating appearances by the Libertarian, Constitution, and/or Green Parties, in addition to the main two and the Restoration Party, but haven't made a decision.

Now, I've got my GOP candidates figured out, most of the rest of the listed GOP suggestions above will likely go to the Veep list.

-Sarah Palin (incumbant)

-Rik Santorum

-Bobby Jindal

-Mike Huckabee

(I'm also debating Jacob Isakson, especially assuming he has also served a term as Governor of Georgia in addition to his senatorial career by 2016, but I've made no firm decision on him).

I'm still figuring out which Dems will be candidates, and which will go on the Veep list (and which won't appear).

I'm still debating appearances by the Libertarian, Constitution, and/or Green Parties, in addition to the main two and the Restoration Party, but haven't made a decision.

Add at least one minor party for space barring. I always like the libertarians for SB as they're closer to the centre.

-Sarah Palin (incumbant)

-Rik Santorum

-Bobby Jindal

-Mike Huckabee

His name is Rick Santorum not Rik. Also, its Johnny Isakson, not Jacob.

Currently, the Dems up for the nomination are:

-Barack Obama

-Mark Warner

-Evan Bayh

-Andrew Cuomo

-Chelsea Clinton

-Tim Kaine

-Brian Schweitzer

-Dan Boren

-Joe Biden (off by default)

Lots of Veep choices too, selected from Matty1019's helpful list.

Lets not jump the gun here. In 2012 it is very possible that the Democrats might win the White House. After 12 years of Republicans dominating the Executive, the likelihood that they would win a 4th consecutive term is incredibly slim.

Well since MCcain died Palin may have ridden sympathy coatailt to another term.

Okay, dropped Biden and added John Lynch to the Democrats list. Now, I'm working on the Third Parties. Other than the Restoration Party, I'm having the Green, Libertarian, and Constitution Parties (maybe also the Reform Party), and each will have three or four candidates in their primaries, and a number of Veep choices (as I have significant lists of potential candidates for each, thanks to Matty's list). As for Duncan Hunter as a GOP candidate, I'm seriously considering it. I've already included Isakson.

Say, anyone out there who has a good graphics program that can make me a logo for the Restoration Party? It's just got to look appropriate to a party dedicated to the social, economic, and political 'reconstruction of America.'

As for a Republican incumbancy in 2016 by Palin, it assumes Palin remains popular in 2012, and fits the electoral story arc I'm trying to craft with this scenario. It may be a bit arbitrary, but it is actually possible, depending on what happens during the next 8 years. I'm quite a bit to the left myself, so this isn't a personal political bias, it just allows the scenario I have in mind to unfold best.

Okay, dropped Biden and added John Lynch to the Democrats list. Now, I'm working on the Third Parties. Other than the Restoration Party, I'm having the Green, Libertarian, and Constitution Parties (maybe also the Reform Party), and each will have three or four candidates in their primaries, and a number of Veep choices (as I have significant lists of potential candidates for each, thanks to Matty's list). As for Duncan Hunter as a GOP candidate, I'm seriously considering it. I've already included Isakson.

If you do say he won the 2010 California Gubernatorial race.

Say, anyone out there who has a good graphics program that can make me a logo for the Restoration Party? It's just got to look appropriate to a party dedicated to the social, economic, and political 'reconstruction of America.'

I can use GIMP. Give me some details about the agenda they have and I can come up with the imagery. E.g., is it basically a centrist Ross Perot/fiscal rectitude ticket, or something more radical? Is it radical liberal or radical conservative on moral values? Obama's optics work well for a progressive reform ticket, but you would need something else for a more traditionalist candidate.

I can use GIMP. Give me some details about the agenda they have and I can come up with the imagery. E.g., is it basically a centrist Ross Perot/fiscal rectitude ticket, or something more radical? Is it radical liberal or radical conservative on moral values? Obama's optics work well for a progressive reform ticket, but you would need something else for a more traditionalist candidate.

Essentially, they have a secular morality much like the Libertarian Party, but unlike them are willing to spend A LOT more money on social infrastructure; not just the usual education, health care, welfare, etc. but also the Clinton-era 'rebuilding the cities' issue and resussitating American manufacturing and other economic practices that have waned due to Far East competition. They believe in radically dropping the unemployment rate (thus such welfare mentioned above would largely be a temporary measure for most, unless they were severely handicapped and couldn't work). They would leave abortion and gay marriage/civil unions to the states. They also have a hard-on-crime stance, especially on organized crime, and believe a victim's rights should trump a convicted criminals rights (unlike the Libertarians). Am I making myself clear?

Archived