270soft Forum
Patine

Alberta 1935

This decisive election was THE biggest political shift in a single election in North American history. The Social Credit League, running it's first ever election anywhere in Canada, had 0 seats going into the election (of course) and a majority gov't at it's conclusion, the first of nine in a row. The United Farmers of Alberta held a majority gov't when the election was called and had 0 seats when the polls closed, and never had a seat in the Alberta Legislative Assembly again. I plan to make this a mod of Alberta Premier 4E, but, if that's too difficult to work with, I'll just use Canadian PM4E. I will use the map from AP4E's 1967 scenario, but some regions will have one or two less constituencies each. The parties (and leaders) will be:

-Social Credit (William Aberhart)

-UFA (Richard G. Reid)

-Liberal (William Howson)

-Conservative (David Milwyn Duggan)

-Labour (Fred J White)

-Communist (Jan Lakeman)

-Economic Reconstruction (Elsie Wright)

-Independent *

-Independent Liberal *

-United Front *

-Independent Conservative *

-Independent Labour *

I use '*' to signify that I need to examine the candidates list to select a symbolic leader for this faction, as these weren't formal parties, just leanings of indy candidates. As I fortunately live in Edmonton, I can just take the bus to the Royal Alberta Provincial Archives to get ALL the data I need. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please post.

• Upvote 1

This election campaign is seen as the most negative in Alberta's history, with reports of Social Credit members, operating openly and on William Aberhart's directives, defacing the campaign signs of opponents and drowning their speeches by honking car horns. Many campaign ads also focused mostly on attacking the opposing parties.

After the 1935 election results were in, newspapers across North America took notice, with the Boston Globe running the headline ALBERTA GOES CRAZY! Historians note that this election was the biggest single electoral shift in North American history

Also, the slogan of the liberals was ''The rest of Canada can't be wrong'' and the party didn't do well at all.

The turnout was the highest in all of Alberta's elections (about 80%).

Another good election will be the 1971 one for Alberta where the Socred were wiped forever by the PC.

• Upvote 1

I designed an Alberta 1935 scenario myself.

The issues are basically those from the 1905 scenario but everything else is authentic.

I never bothered uploading it as I didn't think anyone would be interested in it.

• Upvote 1

An Alberta 1971 scenario was done, which I downloaded. I tweaked it a bit and it works okay.

In my view, the best scenarios to play are rarely the most sensational elections; My favourite Alberta scenario to play is probably my 1955 scenario.

• Upvote 1

I had read the same wiki article, matvail, and yes, it was quite some election. There was a '71 scenario also made for Alberta Premier 4E by TheorySpark, which I have ('67 to '08 and then 1905, in fact), but they made no 'official' '35 scenario. Display Name, I'd be very interested in seeing yours; could you please send it, if you're willing, to chandallah@netscape.net?

• Upvote 1

I'm currently finishing off the issues on this one (it had a fairly unique set given the unusual nature of the SoCred platform). It shouldn't take long at all to finish this up. Will anyone be interested in playtesting it?

• Upvote 1

The playtest beta for this scenario is ready. Anyone interested?

Sure send it to me at:

padams0511@gmail.com

• Upvote 1

The regionalism needs some changing, just to reflect the popularity of the Soc-Cred's major themes. I'd also include something about the sex scandal that brought down the Old UFA Premier, and changing some other issues to show the UFA (and the Conservatives') fiscal conservatism- which hurt them in the election. The Liberals should probably have an issue that highlights their perceived allegiances to the Ottowan government that prevents them from gaining much populist headway. And the Social Credits were much more populist/interventionist on economic policies during this time period than their later incarnations.

Otherwise, it looks very promising.

• Upvote 1

The regionalism needs some changing, just to reflect the popularity of the Soc-Cred's major themes. I'd also include something about the sex scandal that brought down the Old UFA Premier, and changing some other issues to show the UFA (and the Conservatives') fiscal conservatism- which hurt them in the election. The Liberals should probably have an issue that highlights their perceived allegiances to the Ottowan government that prevents them from gaining much populist headway. And the Social Credits were much more populist/interventionist on economic policies during this time period than their later incarnations.

Otherwise, it looks very promising.

Sorry for not replying on this earlier GOP Progressive, but I actually didn't notice the response until NDPer bumped the thread. Good advice, all in all. I'll be sure to fit it in. I'm also planning on making Dominion Labour and the UFA seperate parties, as they ran seperately in the election.

And, to NDPer, I sent you a copy. Please send feedback!

• Upvote 1