Treasurer of the PC's New Scenario's  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the scenario's

• Great
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • OK
    • Bad

I found East Renfrew on my PC today and as I had not played it, I thought I would give it a go, confident that Treas of the PC would provide an interesting scenario as he has before.

The first thing I do when I open a scenario is to go through the ridings to work out where the battleground is. Well Treas has chosen a scenario in which there isn't any battleground! - about 15 of the 20 ridings are safe for either one party or the other and the remaining seats are not that marginal either.

I decided to play the scenario anyway. I couldn't force myself to wade through the masses of endorsers so I disabled the endorser file. This scenario is odd in that the low party campaign fund starting positions are irrelevant as the fundraising coefficient is too generous. It takes away a bit of the realism.

This is not one of Treas's best but that is more to do with the choice he made.

Rule No1 for anyone designing a scenario; Provide a decent ridings battlegound or avoid doing historical scenarios that don't have one.

Rule No2; Do what you like.

I found East Renfrew on my PC today and as I had not played it, I thought I would give it a go, confident that Treas of the PC would provide an interesting scenario as he has before.

The first thing I do when I open a scenario is to go through the ridings to work out where the battleground is. Well Treas has chosen a scenario in which there isn't any battleground! - about 15 of the 20 ridings are safe for either one party or the other and the remaining seats are not that marginal either.

I decided to play the scenario anyway. I couldn't force myself to wade through the masses of endorsers so I disabled the endorser file. This scenario is odd in that the low party campaign fund starting positions are irrelevant as the fundraising coefficient is too generous. It takes away a bit of the realism.

This is not one of Treas's best but that is more to do with the choice he made.

Rule No1 for anyone designing a scenario; Provide a decent ridings battlegound or avoid doing historical scenarios that don't have one.

Rule No2; Do what you like.

It is one of my earlier ones when i gave the fundraising too much slack, but even despite that, trying to gain even one seat was still a test. If i did that one now, i would lessen the margins and increase undecideds.

Newbury 1993 By-election

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?z5nmm4olmg0

See preview shot on first page.

Info: In this scenario, trying to replicate the large swing means you can't win as the Conservatives, down to the events, and the candidate strength. It's so as the Lib Dems you can reach the percentage they reached, of 65%, which can be reached if you play as them. For the Conservatives it is to reach the 27% it took at the by-election or over. What makes this harder is, because of the sheer number of parties, they could easily spill into 1-3% so they could take a considerable amount off the 3 main parties. It doesn't go away completely, but i tried to resolve it by reducing the minor party candidate strength to 0, in the ridings. This helped alot, the large undecided vote now favours the Lib Dems alot more as well as the Tories. As taken from a source, a third of voters were undecided through the campaign, so there is almost exactly that amount of undecideds, and this enables the swing to take place as the campaign goes on. I also believe this is the first scenario to include former Labour leader John Smith.

Newbury 1993 By-election

A good scenario, with good descriptions of the candidates. It's a shame that one candidate had to miss the cut due to the party number limit.

Finally got around to trying ToddsPaddington today Treas.

My first reaction to discovering that it was single member region was dissapointment as I had not enjoyed this when it was done elsewhere, with Yukon for instance. However, it made a pleasant change and made the game easier to follow. Given that the campaign was 12 weeks long, there was never any point to targetting seats as you could be sure that by the end of the campaign each riding would have 9 or 10 footies. Barnstorming was a bit of a waste of time as well. So was fundraising, with no prospect of ever running out of funds.

It was tough with the prospect of getting hit by any one of your three opponents high.

On the general fantasy theme, as far as I was concerned, I would have preferred to have had the familiarity of the geography I know. As for the leaders, it looks as though you wandered down the hall of mirrors again with each party being led by various squashed faced celebs. For me, it also detracts from a scenario when you have a party like UKIP being led by Victor Meldrew. It was also very confusing having Labour led by a prominent Tory.

Although I didn't particularly like the bogus leaders and the fantasy element, I think there is a lot in this scenario to get stuck into, with the possibilities of playing the game with or without the various add ons (media linked regions, events, endorsers etc) to make me come back to it a few times.

Looking forward to your next historical, non-leadership, non-by-election scenario.

• Upvote 1

My first reaction to discovering that it was single member region was dissapointment as I had not enjoyed this when it was done elsewhere, with Yukon for instance. However, it made a pleasant change and made the game easier to follow. Given that the campaign was 12 weeks long, there was never any point to targetting seats as you could be sure that by the end of the campaign each riding would have 9 or 10 footies. Barnstorming was a bit of a waste of time as well. So was fundraising, with no prospect of ever running out of funds.

I must say that the best part of the scenario is the fact that you can well see the split between urban/suburban/rural areas. However, I think that the possibility of zooming the map would be a good option in the future.

The problem with the Yukon map is that some regions have only one district and others have sometimes up to 3-4 districts (especially in Whitehorse) which make a tendency for the player to concentrate only on multi-member ridings for the ads and footsoldiers to win the election.

Also, a problem with the Yukon scenario (and the Nova Scotia scenarios, the fictional UK 1982 scenario and some Quebec scenarios), is that the PM4E engine is not well suited for three way races in the Westminster system.

• Upvote 1

Finally got around to trying ToddsPaddington today Treas.

It was tough with the prospect of getting hit by any one of your three opponents high.

On the general fantasy theme, as far as I was concerned, I would have preferred to have had the familiarity of the geography I know. As for the leaders, it looks as though you wandered down the hall of mirrors again with each party being led by various squashed faced celebs. For me, it also detracts from a scenario when you have a party like UKIP being led by Victor Meldrew. It was also very confusing having Labour led by a prominent Tory.

Although I didn't particularly like the bogus leaders and the fantasy element, I think there is a lot in this scenario to get stuck into, with the possibilities of playing the game with or without the various add ons (media linked regions, events, endorsers etc) to make me come back to it a few times.

Looking forward to your next historical, non-leadership, non-by-election scenario.

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad there is replayability value to Padstoddington, it's something different and i liked the idea of doing at least 1 British fictional nation. The next one you will looking forward too, will be Finland 2007 most likely, but that will be quite some time away. Have you tried out the Labour leadership 1976 and Newbury scenarios? Are you not too keen on them?

I must say that the best part of the scenario is the fact that you can well see the split between urban/suburban/rural areas. However, I think that the possibility of zooming the map would be a good option in the future.

The problem with the Yukon map is that some regions have only one district and others have sometimes up to 3-4 districts (especially in Whitehorse) which make a tendency for the player to concentrate only on multi-member ridings for the ads and footsoldiers to win the election.

Also, a problem with the Yukon scenario (and the Nova Scotia scenarios, the fictional UK 1982 scenario and some Quebec scenarios), is that the PM4E engine is not well suited for three way races in the Westminster system.

Thats exactly what i wanted to highlight in the scenario, the difference between the urban/city, town, semi-urban and rural constitiuencies, when it comes to voting between the main British parties.

Have you tried out the Labour leadership 1976 and Newbury scenarios? Are you not too keen on them?

I've never bothered trying party leadership scenarios [the idea seems a bit too contrived for me] and rarely try by-election scenarios

"Finland, Finland, Finland, a place I would quite like to be."

Just to get the ball rolling again, I've managed to do the map transfer for the 1997 election. This is the same great scenario created by Christian, right down to the same rates for the endorsers, but with a more regional breakdown, showing a couple of exceptions, such as Lincolnshire and North Yorkshire. Grampian edges blue because of the percentage vote at the beginning usually, it doesn't mean they lead in seats as they have 1 seat to Labour's 2. Of course, I've made amends to the regionional centres to the regions, however I have maintained Christian's ratings to a degree or exact degree according to the European parliament regions it is in (i.e East Midlands, South West etc.)

Next: Best British PM

Go to my scenario planning thread shortly, for further info on what's happening now.

Best British PM released.

- Candidates can be turned off in 2010 version.

- Doubled finances of Lloyd George and Margaret Thatcher. Finances for candidates outside top 4 increased by a million.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ijwzthlcood

That's not all. Padstoddington 2009 is updated for the 2010 version with previous election results. No other changes though. Links are also on first page.

http://www.mediafire.com/?eiyqiwujdfr

Next I'll finish the Ayati ridings, Uganda map and continue where I left off, on the 1982 Glasgow Hillhead by-election.

A good three way race, I won the election as the Tory with this score at my first try after a spacebar quick look:

CON: 14 039

SDP: 13 408

Labour: 11 697

SNP: 4277

Glass: 2055

Boaks: 1643

Carlaw: 1561

Jenkins: 1413

Any polls for this by-election during the campaign?

• Upvote 1

No polls. Information for the by-election despite it's age were fairly good though, but what came closest to that was from the Wikipedia page for the by-election. It says the Labour were in the lead initially, and there was a consistent 1% lead of Jenkins over Malone. Labour were leading in the national polls so I thought initially, they would have a slight lead.

How about a by- election where every post-code, street even household is a constituency. that way barnstorming would be more like door to door canvassing!

Each constituency has maybe 7-8 electoral wards and within them maybe 10,000-15,000 eligible people so 15x7/8 constituencies each 1,000 electors.

it could make the fight more intense and ensure you don't visit on region ten thousand times in the course of the game.

normanwisdomii, have you been reading my mind?

I'm going to get a new fictional scenario lined up, re-creating a retro classic, the ZX Spectrum game "Election" (1984). Each house in the street will be a "constituency", and each street will be a "region", and the advertising would be only leaflets and billboards. I'll explain more when I have started developing it with a map, in the planning thread.

• Upvote 1

We should do the same with the a fictional (or real) Canadian by-election, especially with the Pundit's Guide tool based on Google Maps.

For exemple, if you take this marginal (with a very high average participation rate) middle-class riding (which is my home riding):

http://www.punditsguide.ca/riding/?riding=1116&pane=3

This could be terrific thing to work on!

• Upvote 1

We should do the same with the a fictional (or real) Canadian by-election, especially with the Pundit's Guide tool based on Google Maps.

For exemple, if you take this marginal (with a very high average participation rate) middle-class riding (which is my home riding):

http://www.punditsguide.ca/riding/?riding=1116&pane=3

This could be terrific thing to work on!

Patine might be interested in this, as he's thinking of doing a Canadian by-election.

• Upvote 1

It takes along time for the 2006 greater london elections to load. Can someone help, is anyone else having this problem.

It's normal because it has so many candidates... a usual scenario has 500 seats this has something like 2000

• Upvote 1

Thanks soo much :D if i could have the scottish or northern ireland one id be very happy :D

I think there are a couple of versions of both. There is a Northern Ireland (Normalised) and not Normalised (can't remember what that does), Scotland I think had a PM4E version. Here are 2007 of NI Normalised and Scotland for K4E (I think if you just set Hare-Niemeyer to 0 in scenario.txt it will work in PM, but %s would need adjustment)

Scotland was created by Peter Lucas

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yscob7