270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hcallega

Historical Scenarios

I greatly admire what Warner '12 is doing for old scenarios. It seems really cool and something that i might want to do. I have been a little swamped recently, but I really think that this is interesting and plausible. I don't want to start the scenario from scratch, but I'll work with someone on these.

Here are a couple ideas:

1912: One of the most exciting elections in U.S. history. The primaries would be very fun, though what to do with TR could be an issue (I'm thinking have him default on for the GOP, with R.M. LaFollete on as the progressive candidate and T.R. Default off for them). There is already a basic framework for this scenario, as someone already made a 1912 for P4E. I'm going to get started on this one and hopefully will be able to make good progress.

1932: F.D.R. wasn't the favorite to win in 1932. Al Smith and John Garner were the favorites for the Dem nomination, but F.D.R. pulled the upset with some smoth politics. Could he have done the same in a primary season? A fun scenario that could be built off of the 1936 scenario already in progress.

1948: Harry Truman is challenged from all angles. But can he win and pull off one of histories greatest upsets?

Could be wrong, but I was under the impression that FDR went into the convention as the heavy favorite. It was only when he wasn't able to secure the nomination in the first couple of ballots that his chances started to look bad (which he rectified by cutting a deal with Garner).

how would the old scenarios work with like ads and stuff?

You can rename, delete, and create ads. So just kill the TV ads and use Newspaper and Radio… maybe Magazine or something.

A large problem is that in earlier scenarios it wasn't ads so much as the local machine organization… and FootSoldiers are not accessible to scenario designers so you can't up their strength or keep them around longer or what have you.

How would Alaska, Hawaii and DC be factored in to these old scenarios?

You can easily delete them from the map.

If anyone wants to get started on 1912, a great base is the 1912 scenario created for P4E. You don't need the actual game, you just need to download it (for free) and find out the information. It has issues, regional information, and has pictures as well. I would love to help with candidates, but i suck at most other things.

I might like to try 1860, but the problem is the P4E+P engine has too fast travel. That is, you can always move from one state to any other state in no more than 1 turn. In 1860, it would have taken a week on an express train that only stopped for coal and water to get between NYC and Chicago. Traveling to California and Oregon (the only states at the time west of the big bloc of territories) before the Inter-Continental Railway was built would likely have taken your whole camapign, or close to it, for a round trip (I don't believe Lincoln camapigned in those two states).

Germany 1933, I hate to say, likely won't work in any reasonable form by P4E+P, given the election was not actually about just electing a Chancellor, either at large or by electoral college, but was about electing the members of the Reichstag by proportionate representation, and then forming a coalition (which even Hitler had to do initially). I'd strongly suggest, if you can bear the modding, investing in Chancellor 4E, as it has the closest system to that actual election (surprisingly enought :P )

Yeah, the scenarios I plan on doing once I get C4E are:

Germany: 1933

1968s been done. And quite well I might add.

are you planning on doing 1960?

TheorySpark is doing 1960. Which doesn't preclude someone else doing it, of course, but in practice no one bothers (aside from 2008 Gold).

On 8/3/2008 at 2:23 AM, CCC said:

Yeah, the scenarios I plan on doing once I get C4E are:

Germany: 1933

@Patine plans to do these.I'm making an app that'll caluclate seats for Germany 1933/

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

@Patine plans to do these.I'm making an app that'll caluclate seats for Germany 1933/

I'm a bit confused. Only three of those listed years (1896, 1912, and 1933) had an actual German election during it, and 1860 pre-dated the German Empire created by Bismarck, 1936 was an uncontested and not at all free-and-fair "election" (more of a referendum) under Nazi rule, and 1948 was a year before the first post-WW2 West German Bundestag election.

Just now, Patine said:

I'm a bit confused. Only three of those listed years (1896, 1912, and 1933) had an actual German election during it, and 1860 pre-dated the German Empire created by Bismarck, 1936 was an uncontested and not at all free-and-fair "election" (more of a referendum) under Nazi rule, and 1948 was a year before the first post-WW2 West German Bundestag election.

aside from 1933 he's talking about the US