270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CCC

I was thinking maybe we could work ona 1936 election scenario. Unfortunatley I have no modding skills so maybe I will have to wait for campains forever to be released.

Well, here's what I'm thinking:

CANDIDATES:

DEMOCRATS:

President Franklin D. Roosevelt (NY)

Lawyer Henry S. Breckinridge (NY)

Senator Huey Long (LA) (defaulted to off, as a good what-if, seeing he was planning a run in '36 and was popular nationwide)

REPUBLICANS:

Governor Alf Landon (Kansas)

Senator Arthur Vandenburg (Michigian)

Senator Charles McNary (Oregon)

Senator Lester Dickinson (Iowa)

Fmr. President Herbert C. Hoover (California)

ISSUES:

Role of Government

Civil Rights

Interventionism/Isolationism

Trade

Economy

Immigration

Crime

Labor Relations

Communism

Aid to Cities

Education

Fascism

So, what do ya think?

Thanks in advance. :D

I was thinking maybe we could work ona 1936 election scenario. Unfortunatley I have no modding skills so maybe I will have to wait for campains forever to be released.

Campaigns Forever has been out for a year.

As for 1936… good luck, it's going to be this side of impossible for the primaries.

I recommend doing what I'm doing for 1964 - just create a primary calender. Electric Monk is right. It'll be impossible to fit the game engine to 1936. You can, however, fit 1936 to the game engine. I'll get the delegate information for you, and help out in anyway I can.

On a side note, I love Huey Long. Absolute favorite politician ever. I'm almost finished with a 1928 Louisiana gubernatorial scenario. Any information you need about Huey, I have it.

By the way, he was planning on running third party if he lost the Democratic nomination. He figured he'd split the liberal vote, get the Republican elected, allow the country to rot for four years and then sweep in for the nomination in 1940.

Huey Long was a bad man, but he did a lot of good things for the people of Louisiana. Besides, you gotta love a guy who showed up to greet a German destroyer in silk pajamas.

Yeah thanks Warner12'! I will get Campains forever once I get the $$$ to but it.

I too think Huey Long was awesome. Auctually, when I go into politics I plan to be a lot like him!

I was thinking along the lines of him evading assisination and doing what he planned to do. That's really the heart of this scenario. He would start with the South pretty much in his pocket and with a strong showing in the midwest. FDR would be strong on the coasts and the northeast.

I'm also thinking of adding Gerald Winrod as a hypothetical Republican contender.

Also, I'm thinking of making a Germany 1933 scenario. It will be Nazia vs Communists vs Social Democrats mainly, but also with the other parties. Just I don't know how to get a map of Germany for it.

Yeah thanks Warner12'! I will get Campains forever once I get the $$$ to but it.

I too think Huey Long was awesome. Auctually, when I go into politics I plan to be a lot like him!

I was thinking along the lines of him evading assisination and doing what he planned to do. That's really the heart of this scenario. He would start with the South pretty much in his pocket and with a strong showing in the midwest. FDR would be strong on the coasts and the northeast.

I'm also thinking of adding Gerald Winrod as a hypothetical Republican contender.

Also, I'm thinking of making a Germany 1933 scenario. It will be Nazia vs Communists vs Social Democrats mainly, but also with the other parties. Just I don't know how to get a map of Germany for it.

Well I'm glad to help. I wouldn't want to be too much like Huey Long, though. He once kidnapped a rival before a key election.

I assume you've read All The King's Men? Robert Penn Warren is my favorite author of all time. He was a great poet too, you should check out some of his stuff. Lord Jesus, I Wonder is my favorite poem of his.

The polls back then were taken by telephone, and were heavily skewed Republican due to the relatively high income of telephone owners at the time. Landon was projected to win, yet FDR won in a huge landslide.

Could the polls be intentionally skewed towards Republicans to reflect this?

Landon barely campaigned at all. If he had campaigned more, he probably could have done better.

The Union Party should also be availble. They are the party that Long helped found, and the ran William Lemke, who one 2% of the vote, not bad for a third party. They ran to the left of Roosevelt.

Long was the last Fascist politician in the USA. He ran on basically the same campaign Mussolini did. He stood for a better capitalism that would give wealth to the middle class and stand up to the "big guy". He had a rapidly growing cult of personality and authoritarian tendencies. His relations with Charles Coughlin is yet another indicator. Roosevelt himself had some economically Fascist policies (of course more moderate than Mussolini) because back in 1936 Fascism was actually popular. (Roosevelt was, of course, opposed to Hitler)

http://www.rationalrevolution.net/articles...can_fascism.htm

(This ends in the 1950's, so it doesn't say "OMG BUSH IS A FASCIST" or whatever)

Anyway, I don't think Communism should be an issue. Labor Relations takes care of that. (The Communist movement was growing at this point and it was pretty much solely in the labor unions) It should be replaced with Japan.