270soft Forum
Mitt/Rudy08

United States-1976, Historical Fiction

I've finished creating the first in what will be a serious of scenarios that are Historical Fiction, inspired by the ideas created by RedStateProgressive. My first one is for the reelection of "President McGovern."

"As a result of the Watergate scandal of 1972, the Vietnam war dragging on, high inflation and low employment, Richard Nixon lost his bid for reelection. The 3 and a half year record of President McGovern included a quick withdrawal from Vietnam, but trouble on the domestic front. Will McGovern serve four more years, or are American's ready for a change with a Republican President?"

The Republicans start off with a huge lead. But at all disappears by the time of the general election. You can download it here.

http://rs253.rapidshare.com/files/13125502...Re-election.zip

I've finished creating the first in what will be a serious of scenarios that are Historical Fiction, inspired by the ideas created by RedStateProgressive. My first one is for the reelection of "President McGovern."

"As a result of the Watergate scandal of 1972, the Vietnam war dragging on, high inflation and low employment, Richard Nixon lost his bid for reelection. The 3 and a half year record of President McGovern included a quick withdrawal from Vietnam, but trouble on the domestic front. Will McGovern serve four more years, or are American's ready for a change with a Republican President?"

The Republicans start off with a huge lead. But at all disappears by the time of the general election. You can download it here.

http://rs253.rapidshare.com/files/13125502...Re-election.zip

Alternate History, I think you mean (historical fiction is something quite different).

And shouldn't this be in the President Forever 2008 subforum?

(Oh, and it does look cool :)

I just downloaded it and played it, and I have discovered numerous flaws, or so I think with your 1976 Presidential Scenario.

The political positions of some of the candidates, especially those 'Rockefeller Republicans' inclusive in the 1976 Republican Primaries. Elliot Richardson, Harold Stassen, even Gerald Ford. Richardson, Stassen and Ford were quite moderate, though Richardson and Stassen more so. If Richardson and especially Stassen found out they were precieved as right-wingers in this scenario, they would go nuts.

Also, I believe if President McGovern is in much turmoil as you say he is, he would be challenged for the 1976 Democratic Nomination by the likes of either Washington Senator Scoop Jackson or West Virginia Senator Robert Byrd. Also, I believe had McGovern won re-election, one key part of that would result in no news regarding Eagleton's electroshock therapy in St. Louis.

Fantastic job balancing the game out. I was a little worried when I saw all the blue initially, but it becomes competitive.