270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
VoteGOP

Canada-US union 2010

I think I'd prefer a less horrifying reason. Severe depression? Also, how do you plan to model the national divide? P4E has no way to model that.

I would recommend that the incumbents (Harper and Obama) be relatively popular, and that the assimilation is occurring rather rapidly. Make the scenario not a referendum on the incumbents, but rather an open contest to see which way the newest nation in world goes.

I think I'd prefer a less horrifying reason. Severe depression? Also, how do you plan to model the national divide? P4E has no way to model that.

I would recommend that the incumbents (Harper and Obama) be relatively popular, and that the assimilation is occurring rather rapidly. Make the scenario not a referendum on the incumbents, but rather an open contest to see which way the newest nation in world goes.

Really though what other reason would the nations have for merging. I saw a poll that 20% of canadians would favor a merger. Kind of high but a large majoirty don't. The # is probably even lower in the US. Something would have to happen.

Anyone know the nicknames for the Canadian provinces?

Motto aswell?

• Upvote 1

Is there any way to incorperate the French Factor in to this? Since a 13 EVs are from an all french province alot of canditates would want to know some of the language and may get an advantage for being fluent.

• Upvote 1

The language bonus is currently unavailable in P4E+P; the help file specifically says so.

Also, being an Albertan, I know for a fact that the majority of my province are NOT 'moderate' conservatives; only the politicians are. Your average Albertan, especaially in rural areas, are just like Texans with a different accent in their social and political beliefs. Well, maybe that's going a bit far, but not by too much. As an NDP voter (a rare breed out here), I'm constantly fending off political arguements when the issue gets brought up. The elected MLA's are only more moderate than their electorate as only so much is allowed by a province in terms of 'right-wing behaviour' by Ottawa. This may change if Harper gets a majority in the next election, but for now we still have things like welfare and public health care (I, in fact, work in a welfare office).

As for the Bloc running a presidential candidate, it'd be nothing but a protest blocking up of 13 EV's, at best. The current BQ 50+ seats in the Commons is a bit more meaningful. I'd see the BQ/PQ focusing more on gubernatorial/legislative elections in a new state gov't.

Anti-Unionists in general I can see, though I agree their candidates should put that ideal above whether or not they're right- or left-wing.

The Bloc helps to balance out the liberal advantage that they would have since most of canada would go Democratic. Same with the NDP splitting the left vote in BC and Manitoba

• Upvote 1

I think I understand. The NDP should be on the ballot in every Canadian region (state/province), as they currently run in every Federal riding; it's just that their popularity would only be high in BC and Manitoba. The GOP/Conservatives should dominate Alberta and tie with the Dems/Liberals in Saskatchewan and Newfoundland, and the BQ would hold significant numbers in Quebec; otherwise the remaining 6 Canadian regions (which includes the North as one region, as you'd said) should be Liberal/Dem-dominated, I agree.

But, should BC could be divided equally between the three parties?

Vancouver and Vancouver Island are NDP and Liberal.

The BC Interior can be really Conservative like neighouring Alberta.

Also, I think that the GOP-Conservatives should be second in Manitoba.

• Upvote 1

Really though what other reason would the nations have for merging. I saw a poll that 20% of canadians would favor a merger. Kind of high but a large majoirty don't. The # is probably even lower in the US. Something would have to happen.

Clive Cussler wrote a novel a while back in which it was discovered that, in the process of trying to get the United States to join the British effort in WWI, Canada was sold to the United States. In the novel, the treaty was lost for almost one hundred years, and with Woodrow Wilson's health at the end of his second term, no one knew about it.

Unrealistic, sure. But it would be better than horrifying depression.

Its not a svere crippling depression like in the 30s. Its just a major recession and the union was started to prevent a depression and compete with the EU.

• Upvote 1

Clive Cussler wrote a novel a while back in which it was discovered that, in the process of trying to get the United States to join the British effort in WWI, Canada was sold to the United States. In the novel, the treaty was lost for almost one hundred years, and with Woodrow Wilson's health at the end of his second term, no one knew about it.

Really?

It was a decent book, as I recall. Not great, but not awful.

I just thought I'd throw it out there.

in the 2004 scenarios there is a scenario called united north america

Sorry, I haven't been around to help, I have been away. I think that you should make both leaders (Harper and Obama) relatively popular, but just because they are popular does not mean they will win. The political landscape has changed dramatically because of the new Canadian states and the NDP and Bloc should be enough of a factor to help balance the election.

Also, as alluded to above, Manitoba should go like this:

NDP: 40%

PC: 30%

Lib: 10%

Undecided: 20%

For NDP here are the candidates I will be making. If you have any suggestions or objections please mention them now

NDP

Jack Layton

Ralph Nader

Dennis Kucinich

Gary Doer

Bob Rae

Also, just a question, is there a restriction on the pictures we can use, as in we need to own them or something?

VoteGOP, I will not be able to do some specifics becasue the map is not complete.

I use whatever pictures I want and I couldn't get the map finished I've been very busy. Maybe add Jackson or Sharpton for the NDP.

I'll put in Al Sharpton since he is alot younger.

Don't worry about the map, the only thing is you will have to send it back to me to touch a few things up.

Also, do you want me to do all of the parties or just the NDP?

Do as many as you want. I'll hnadle the percentages. Conservative-Republicans, Liberal-Democrats, BQ, Anti union, maybe green as a space bar?

• Upvote 1

Cynthia McKinney might be a good choice for the NDP too.

I'll put her in, but what where would her stronghold area be and hoiw would she fare in comparison to the others?