270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
VoteGOP

Events Question

I'm creating a 2008 scenario with Ted Kennedy in it. I want to make an event with his brain cancer worked into it. Since he was diagnosed in may 20 thats when I want it to be. How do I set it up so if hes withdrawn it doesn't occur and how can I make it cause a large drop in Teds #s and if hes already clinched in the democrats numbers. BTW when I go to enter the event name after every letter I get the list index out of bounds thing.

• Upvote 1

Without opening up Virtual Windows, something like this:

May 20th; Event has 100% of occurring.

Event Should Occur If: Ted Kennedy is present.

News Story: "Ted Kennedy has brain cancer"

Issue General

Effect: -1000 momentum for Ted Kennedy.

(If you're getting the Index out of bounds thing than you've screwed up in entering data in some way).

Ok thanks. I'll try to figure out why I'm getting the message.

By the way do you think it should completly tank his campaign or just cripple it.

• Upvote 1

Ok thanks. I'll try to figure out why I'm getting the message.

By the way do you think it should completly tank his campaign or just cripple it.

I used multiple events involving -1000 momentum and +1000 momentum to flip the 1980 numbers from like 55 to 35 Kennedy to the other way around, so you can take a look at that event series to see how much damage you want to inflict.

As for tanking his campaign, I don't know. Why not two events? Event one covers the headline and inflicts moderate damage and will always occur, Event two has say a 50% chance of occurring and tanks the campaign.

What if I want to add another event that gives the GOP a small bounce but not game changing. And will the -1000 mo for kennedy effect the party aswell if hes clinched.

• Upvote 1

What if I want to add another event that gives the GOP a small bounce but not game changing. And will the -1000 mo for kennedy effect the party aswell if hes clinched.

Party momentum effects the national election, leader momentum effects primary momentum.

So you can Kennedy a big negative momentum which hurts him in the primaries, and at the same time the GOP get a mild bounce in the national election.

Incidentally exact steps for creating new event:

Step 6 --> Create/Edit Scripted Events --> New --> Name Kennedy's Cancer --> Start Date 20/5/2008 --> End Date 20/5/2008 --> Time Event Can Occur 1 --> Chance Any Given Day 100 -> Set Conditions --> Condition Type Leader --> Leader Name Ted Kennedy --> Condition Exists --> Set Outcomes --> New --> Headline "Senator Kennedy Has Brian Cancer" --> Chance of Outcome 100 --> Profile Change 0 --> Chance Momentum Change 100 --> Issue Affected General --> Chance Issue Center Moves 0 --> Distance Issue Center Moves 0 --> Target Issue Center 0 --> Effect Type Leader --> Position/Leader/Party Name Ted Kennedy --> Reward Type Momentum --> Change -500

Then, move back up to New Headline and:

New --> Headline "Senator Kennedy Vows To Fight On" --> Chance of Outcome 50 --> Profile Change 0 --> Chance Momentum Change 100 --> Issue Affected General --> Chance Issue Center Moves 0 --> Distance Issue Center Moves 0 --> Target Issue Center 0 --> Effect Type Leader --> Position/Leader/Party Name Ted Kennedy --> Reward Type Momentum --> Change -1000

Then, move back up to New Headline and:

New --> Headline "Republican Response "Kennedy Is A Great Senator"" --> Chance of Outcome 100 --> Profile Change 0 --> Chance Momentum Change 100 --> Issue Affected General --> Chance Issue Center Moves 0 --> Distance Issue Center Moves 0 --> Target Issue Center 0 --> Effect Type Party --> Position/Leader/Party Name Republican --> Reward Type Momentum --> Change 500

I think that should work (if the multiple headline approach doesn't work you have to break it out into three separate events). It gives Kennedy -500 momentum with a 50% of -2000 momentum if he "vows to fight on" as without that statement the prospect of his withdrawing will suck up media time while with that statement everybody is saying he'll be dead in office so a higher penalty.

It also give the Republican Party a moderate 500 momentum boost in the general election.

This is great thanks but I can't find general in the issue effected column. I was also thinking of giving the GOP a 500 bounce after Reagans funeral (since in this scenarion Reagan was president intil 2006 and was a major hero to everyone) is all this too much for the Democrats to come back from if Kennedy wins?

• Upvote 1

This is great thanks but I can't find general in the issue effected column. I was also thinking of giving the GOP a 500 bounce after Reagans funeral (since in this scenarion Reagan was president intil 2006 and was a major hero to everyone) is all this too much for the Democrats to come back from if Kennedy wins?

There's no Issue General? Oh well, just pick something. It doesn't matter because we're just trying to tank Kennedy.

As for recovering? Sure. It's just barely possible for Kennedy to come back and beat Carter in the 1980 primaries, and you're doing far less damage than I did.

I'm getting the access violation when I start the scenario. Could this be connected with the events.

Could be connected to anything—mail it to TheorySpark.