Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'political party board game playthrough.'.
Found 1 result
See General Forum to see what this is about. Here is a hypothetical first playthrough. I only did Round 1 (1880 Election Year). It took me about 5 hours to type and do this. It will be much faster if it ever becomes a board game, and faster still if it becomes a PC game. As this was done quickly, there are probably a few typos, and I could feasibly be off on the match, but you get the general idea. After playing through this, I may make some adjustments to how a round or turns are done. I wish to simplify it. Political Party Board Game playthrough: Set Up: Republicans control the Presidency (Rutherford B. Hayes), lead in presidential polling, maintain a minor lead in governors and dominate the Supreme Court, giving them 4 Political Points (PP). They get 16 more PP for being +1 on the Cash Meter. They lose 1 PP for being -1 on the Momentum Meter. Total starting Political Points (PP) for Republicans: 20 Unity Meter: 2/3 (Likely 90% of cohesive support on bills) Democrats maintain a minor lead in the US Senate and the US House, giving them 2 Political Points (PP). They have a 0 on the Cash Meter, giving them 12 PP, and they have a +1 on the Momentum Meter. Total starting PP for Democrats: 15 Unity Meter: 2/3 (Likely 90% cohesive support on the bills. The Supreme Court contains 8 Republican Judges (4 liberals, 3 swings, 1 conservative), and one Democrat (1 conservative). The Gilded Age Card starts on the table, giving bonuses to parties with +1 or more on Self-Reliance and Business, and both parties are in this area. Current Party Platforms: Protectionism/Free Trade Meter: Reps +1 Protectionism; Dems +2 Free Trade Isolationism/Intervention Meter: Reps mixed; Dems +2 Isolationism Social Welfare/Self-Reliance Meter: Reps +2 Self-R; Dems +1 Self-R Pro-Immigrant/Nativist Meter: Reps +1 Nativist; Dems +1 Immigrant Labor/Business: Reps +2 Business, Dems +1 Business Minority Rights/Majority Rule: Reps +1 Minority; Dems +2 Majority Federal Prerogative/States Rights: Reps mixed; Dems +2 States Rights Reform/Tradition: Reps mixed; Dems mixed The Game Board will have all relevant information regarding governors, Senators, US House, Presidential Polling, etc. ROUND 1 Part 1: Both Parties draw 5 cards for their hand. They must play them all before the end of the round, if applicable. Republicans, since they control the presidency, draws first. Reps draw: - Presidential Popularity Card - Speech Card - Disharmony Card - Loss of Governor Card - Celebrity Endorsement Democrats draw: - Economy Card - Campaign Blunder Card - Strong Candidate Card - Loss of Justice Card - Party Spies Part 2: Draw Event Cards: Republicans, since they control the presidency, also deal out and flip over all of the 1880 Event Cards. All legislative cards go to the Speaker, controlled by the Democrats, who has the option when to vote on bills, they all must be voted on by the end of the round..: Species Resumptive Act Presidential Convention and VP Selection Campaign Issue: Civil War loyalties Campaign Issue: Tariffs Campaign Issue: Chinese immigration Prohibition Law Presidential Election Day Part 3: Play hand cards or PP (optional) with Presidential Party going first. Republicans pass Democrats play Party Spies Card [[Party Spies Card: Player points to a card in the opposing player's hand, which must be revealed]] Democrat reveals Loss of Governor Card. [[Loss of Governor Card: Opponent's governor dies or resigns from office. A special election takes place on election day. A die roll will determine who gets to select the governor that is removed.]] Both parties wish to hold on to their PPs until later. Part 4: Vote on Legislation (optional, at discretion of Speaker) Democratic Speaker brings up Prohibition Law. [[Prohibition Law: Voting in favor of the bill gives supporting party(s) +2 support in KS presidential poll, but -1, -2, or -3 in cash depending if the party is not preferring Reform, Federal Prerogative, and Social Welfare. Voting against the bill gives -1 support in KS, and -1, -2, or -3 in cash if the party prefers Reform, Federal Prerogative, and Social Welfare. If the bill becomes law, Speaker's party gains +1 momentum, and the party(s) supporting the bill move their platform one space in the direction of one of the following--Reform +2, Federal Prerogative +2, Social Welfare +1. If the bill fails, the party supporting the bill get -1 in Momentum. If none support the bill and it fails, then there is no further penalty. If it does not become law, Speaker can permanently discard the issue, or table for another time within the Gilded Age Era Card years (until 1896)]]. Both Republicans and Democrats, seeing no benefit for this bill at the time, oppose it. As there is no benefit for a formal vote, the Speaker does not bring it up for a vote. The Democratic Speaker, seeing no future benefit for this law, opts to discard it. Both parties get -1 support in Kansas, resulting in a status quo. The Speaker wishes to wait to vote on further laws until later in the year. Part 5: Presidential Convention Republican Convention: - JA Garfield, 50% chance of nomination, +2 bonus in OH, move platform 1 toward Reform +1. - US Grant, 25% chance of nomination, -2 in momentum, move platform 1 toward +1 Federal Prerogative, +1 Minority Rights, +1 Tradition, +2 Business - JG Blaine, 25% chance of nomination, -1 in momentum, +2 bonus in ME, move platform 1 toward Mixed Reform/Tradition, Mixed Protectionism/Free Trade, +1 Nativist Republican player uses 4 PP, leaving him with 16 PP remaining to influence the nomination. Each PP allows a 5% boost to his preferred candidate. Republican player adds 20% to Blaine, giving Blaine 45%, taking 20% off from Garfield, who now has 30%. The die is rolled and JA Garfield is nominated anyway. The party platform now moves from Mixed Reform/Tradition to Reform +1. Republicans now move up +2 in the polls in Ohio going from R+1 to R+3 in that state, pulling it out of battleground range. Republicans now must select a VP not from Garfield's state in OH. Republican player selects a VP from NY, giving a +1 boost in that state, which goes from Mixed to R+1. Democratic Convention: -WS Hancock, 60% chance of nomination, +2 bonus in PA, no change in platform. -TF Bayard, 40% chance of nomination, +1 bonus in DE, platform moves 1 toward, Free Trade +2, Self-Reliance +2, Business +2, States Rights +2, Majority Rule +2, Reform +1. Delaware now goes from D+1 to D+2. Democratic player chooses not to use PP to influence the convention. Die is rolled and TF Bayard is nominated president.The party platform now moves from +1 Self-Reliance to +2 Self-Reliance, from +1 Business to +2 Business, from Mixed Reform/Tradition to Reform +1. Democrats must now select a VP not from Bayard's state of Delaware. Democratic player also selects a NY VP, bringing that state from R+1 back to Mixed. Part 6: Play hand cards or PP (optional) Republican plays Presidential Popularity Card [[Presidential Popularity Card: If the president's party has this card, then it might be a positive. If the opposing party has the card, then it might be a negative for the president's party. Roll the dice presidential popularity.]] Republican player rolls the dice, giving Republican Pres. Hayes a slight popularity boost. Republican momentum increased by 1, giving Republicans 1 more PP, and 17 PP left for the round. Democratic player plays Loss of Justice Card. [[A justice resigns or dies at random, according to a dice roll. The President must select a new justice (pick one of a Liberal, Swing, or Conservative ideology) to be confirmed by the US Senate. The Senate can attempt to block the Justice once. If blocked, the president must pick a new judge of a new ideology, and that one will stay on the court.]] Dice are rolled and a Liberal Republican judge is removed. The Republican player has President Hayes select another Liberal Republican. As Democrats control the Senate, the Democratic player moves to block the pick. Both parties have 2/3 unity, making it likely that 90% of both parties will vote along party lines. Democrats control 56% of the Senate, so it is possible that the can block the judge, if they get a lucky roll for unity. A Dice is rolled, and Republicans get that lucky roll for 100% unity, while Democrats get the expected 2/3 unity. With 61% of Senators opposing the Liberal Judge, Hayes must select a new judge of a different ideology. Republican player selects a Republican Swing judge, who then takes his seat on the court. Both players decline to play anymore hand cards for the moment. Democratic player decides to spend 1 PP, leaving him with 14 total PP to attempt to gain more Presidential support in Ohio, to bring it back into a battleground state. A roll of 12 and higher makes that possible. Democratic player rolls a 13, moving OH from R+3 to R+2. Republican player decides to spend 1 PP to move his platform from Reform +1 to Mixed Reform/Tradition. He must roll as 12 or higher. After rolling a 15, Republicans move their platform from Reform +1 to Mixed Reform/Tradition. Both parties decline to make any further Hand Card or PP moves at this time. Part 7: Optional Legislation Vote (at the discretion of the Speaker): The Democratic Speaker opts not to vote on the remaining law until later in the round. Part 8: Presidential Campaign Issues: Player must now react to the Three Major Campaign Issues for the 1880 Election. Campaign Issue: Civil War Loyalties Option A: To the victors--Increased Federal Pensions for Union Civil War vets; no Southern Civil War vet pension. [+1 support in ME, NH, RI, CT, VT, NY, NJ, DE, MD, WV, OH, IN, MI, MN, WI; -3 in VA, SC, NC, GA, FL, TN, AR, MS, AL, LA, TX.; -1 momentum if platform is not preferring Social Welfare.] Option B: Keep pensions as they are. Subsistence-level Federal pensions for Union Civil War Vets; all states to decide on Southern Civil War vet pensions. [-1 in momentum and cash if Social Welfare platform is +2 or higher; or if Self-Reliance is +2 or higher] Option C: Work to reduce funding and prohibit expansion of the pension system, especially since only the North is favored in this system. [-1 support in the Northern states listed in option A, and +2 support in the Southern states listed in option A; -1 in momentum and cash if party prefers Social Welfare; +1 momentum and cash if party is Self-Reliance 2 or higher. Republican player selects Option B. Democratic player selects Option C. Campaign Issue: Tariffs Option A: Increase Tariff [+1 in momentum and cash if party prefers Protectionism, -1 in both if prefers Free Trade; +1 in all Protectionist bonus states] Option B: Create a moderate Tariff [-1 momentum and cash if +2 or more on Protectionism or Free Trade, +1 in NY] Option C: Decrease Tariff [+1 in momentum and cash if party prefers Free Trade, -1 in both if prefers Protectionism, +1 in all Free trade bonus states] Republican player selects Option B Democratic player selects Option C Campaign Issue: Chinese Immigration Option A: Ban Chinese from entering the country [+2 in all states with nativist bonuses; -1 in states with immigration bonuses; -1 cash and moment if party prefers immigration; +1 in cash and momentum if party is Nativist +2 or more] Option B: Introduce quota system on Chinese immigration [+1 in nativist states; -1 in immigration states; -1 in cash and momentum if party prefers immigration; +1 in cash and momentum if party prefers nativism Option C: Allow Chinese immigration [+1 in immigration states; -1 in nativist states; +1 in cash and momentum if party prefers immigration] Republican player selects option B Democratic player selects option C Changes from the three campaign issues: Republicans gains +1 (1 PP) in momentum and +1 in cash (4 PP). CA is now R+1, ME R+2, MA R+5, OR R+1, RI R+7, VT R+10 (can't go higher), NY mixed, NJ D+1, PA mixed. Republican player now has 20 PP. Democratic player gains +3 in momentum (3PP) and +3 in cash (12PP). Changes in states include AR D+7, CT R+1, DE D+1, FL D+4, GA D+9, IL R+3, IN R+2, LA D+8, ME R+2, MD D+2, MA R+6, MI R+3, MN R+7, MS D+9, NH R+2, NJ mixed, NY mixed, NC D+3, OH R+3, PA mixed, RI R+9, SC D+9, TN D+4, TX D+9, VA D+8, WV D+1, WI, R+3, CA R+2, OR R+2. Democratic player now has 29 PP. Part 9: Final Legislation Period: Democratic Speaker must play final legislation cards, of which there is only one left. [[Species Resumptive Act: Voting for the act nets +1 in NY, MA, NJ, DE, CT, RI, ME, MD; Voting against the act loses +1 in all states West of the Mississippi River. The Speaker's party gains +1 momentum if he ends up on the right side of the vote; otherwise the opposition party gets +1 momentum. Parties supporting the bill move their platform one spot toward mixed Reform/Tradition.]] Both parties support the bill, a dice roll is not needed as success is guaranteed. State bonuses cancel each other out since both parties supported the bill. Democrats gain +1 momentum (1 PP), giving them 30 PP. The Democratic Party also moves from Reform +1 to Mixed Reform/Tradition. Part 10: Final Card and PP Round. (All Cards and PP must be played): Republicans will use Speech Card in NY in an attempt to gain +1 in presidential poll (he could have done another election in the state); Speech fails, but doesn't backfire, after a dice role. Democrats play the economy card, which affects the other player's party if they have the President or the Speaker. The opponent has the President; therefore, the roll is to see if blame is placed on the President for an economic downtick. The dice is rolled, and it is successful. Republicans lose -1 in momentum. They are down to 19 PP. Republican player discards the Disharmony Card since it would have been helpful prior to a Congressional vote, but not helpful here. Democratic player used the Campaign Blunder Card for the NY Presidential poll (He could have chosen another election in the state). He rolls in his favor, and NY becomes D+1. Republican player uses Celebrity Endorsement Card for the NY Presidential (He could have chosen another election in the state). He rolls in his favor, and NY returns to Mixed. Democratic player uses Strong Candidate Card for the NJ gubernatorial election for this round. The card is left on the board as a reminder of the bonus until after the election. Republican player placed Loss of Governor Card. Dice are rolled to determine who selects the Democratic governor to replace. Republican player loses the roll, so the Democratic player selects the MS governor. A Special Election will be held with all the other elections, with a Democratic likely to retake the seat. All hand cards have been played, so players start using XP to increase their chances on election day. State: AL (10) Gov: D Senate: D House: D+7 President: D+5 State: AR (6) Gov: D Senate: D House: D+4 President: D+5 State: CA (6) Gov: R Senate: M *R PP bonus succeeds House: R+2 President: M State: CO (3) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+2 President: R+1 State: CT (6) Gov: R Senate: M *R PP bonus fails; D PP bonus succeeds House: R+2 President: M *R PP bonus fails; D PP bonus fails State: DE (3) Gov: D Senate: D House: D+2 President: D+1 *D PP bonus succeeds State: FL (4) Gov: D Senate: D House: D+3 President: D+2 State: GA (11) Gov: D Senate: D House: D+7 President: D+7 State: IL (21) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+7 *D PP bonus succeeds President: R+1 *R PP bonus succeeds State: IN (15) Gov: D Senate: D *R PP bonus fails House: R+1 *D PP bonus succeeds President: M *R PP bonus succeeds; D PP bonus fails State: IA (11) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+9 President: R+3 *D PP bonus succeeds State: KS (5) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+3 President: R+5 State: KY (12) Gov: D Senate: D House: D+10 President: D+3 State: LA (8) Gov: D Senate: M *D PP bonus succeeds House: D+6 President: D+6 State: ME (7) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+5 President: R+1 *D PP bonus fails State: MD (8) Gov: D Senate: D House: D+4 President: D+2 *D PP bonus succeeds State: MA (13) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+9 President: R+4 State: MI (11) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+9 President: R+2 *D PP bonus fails State: MN (5) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+2 President: R+6 State: MS (8) Gov: Open *R PP bonus succeeds Senate: M House: D+6 President: D+7 State: MO (15) Gov: D Senate: D House: D+11 President: D+2 *D PP bonus succeeds State: NE (3) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+2 President: R+6 State: NV (3) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+2 President: D+1 State: NH (5) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+4 President: R+1 *D PP bonus succeeds State: NJ (9) Gov: D *D PP bonus succeeds Senate: D *R PP bonus succeeds House: R+1 President: M *D PP bonus fails State: NY (35) Gov: R Senate: M *R PP bonus succeeds; D PP bonus fails House: R+14 *R PP bonus succeeds; D PP bonus succeeds President: M *R PP bonus fails; D PP bonus succeeds State: NC (10) Gov: D Senate: D House: D+4 President: D+3 State: OH (22) Gov: R Senate: D *R PP bonus succeeds House: D+2 *R PP bonus fails; D PP bonus succeeds President: R+1 *R PP bonus succeeds State: OR (3) Gov: D Senate: D *R PP bonus fails House: D+2 President: M *D PP bonus succeeds State: PA (29) Gov: R Senate: M *R PP bonus succeeds House: R+11 *D PP bonus succeeds President: Mixed *R PP bonus succeeds State: RI (4) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+3 President: R+6 State: SC (7) Gov: R Senate: D House: D+5 President: D+7 State: TN (12) Gov: D Senate: D House: D+8 President: D+2 State: TX (7) Gov: D Senate: D House: D+4 President: D+7 State: VT (5) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+3 President: R+10 State: VA (11) Gov: D Senate: D House: D+7 President: D+5 State: WV (5) Gov: D Senate: D House: D+3 President: D+1 *R PP succeeds State: WI (10) Gov: R Senate: R House: R+2 *R PP succeeds President: R+3 *D PP succeeds Part 11: Election Day--Final Turn of the 1st Round: Results after dice roll are in CAPS and BOLD if Party flips the office Gubernatorial Election: AL (D) MO (D) MS (Open-D) NJ (D) SC (D) Gubernatorial Results: Democrats hold every gubernatorial seat; Republicans still lead in governors overall. Senate Elections (selected by the governors until the 17th amendment): CA (R) CT (D) REPS TAKE SEAT DE (D) FL (D) IN (D) ME (R) MD (D) MA (R) MI (R) MN (R) MS (R) DEMS TAKE SEAT MO (D) NE (R) NV (R) NJ (D) NY (D) REPS TAKE SEAT OH (D) REPS TAKE SEAT PA (D) REPS TAKE SEAT RI (R) TN (D) TX (D) VA (D) VT (R) WV (D) WI (R) Senate Election Results: Democrats maintain lead in the Senate despite taking losses US House Elections: AL (10) D+7 AR (6) D+4 CA (6) R+2 DEMS TAKE MAJORITY CO (3) R+2 CT (6) R+2 DE (3) D+2 FL (4) D+3 GA (11) D+7 IL (21) R+7 IN (15) R+1 DEMS TAKE MAJORITY IA (11) R+9 KS (5) R+3 KY (12) D+10 LA (8) D+6 ME (7) R+5 MD (8) D+4 MA (13) R+9 MI (11) R+9 MN (5) R+2 MS (8) D+6 MO (15) D+11 NE (3) R+2 NV (3) R+2 NH (5) R+4 NJ (9) R+1 DEMS TAKE MAJORITY NY (35) R+14 NC (10) D+4 OH (22) D+2 REPS TAKE MAJORITY OR (3) D+2 PA (29) R+11 RI (4) R+3 SC (7) D+5 TN (12) D+8 TX (7) D+4 VT (5) R+3 VA (11) D+7 WV (5) D+3 WI (10) R+2 US House Results: Democrats maintain the lead with numbers about the same overall. Presidential Election contested states: CA R+1 CO R+1 CT R+2 DE D+1 IN R+1 IA R+2 DEMS WIN ME R+2 NH R+1 NJ Mixed REPS WIN NV D+1 REPS WIN NY D+1 OH R+2 OR D+1 REPS WIN PA R+1 WV D+2 WI R+2 Result: Democrats take the powerful state of NY, as well as a surprise victory in Iowa. Yet, Republicans flip NV and OR, and win NJ, the most contested state. James A. Garfield defeats Thomas F. Bayard 185-184. The two parties going into Round 2 (1881-1882-Midterms) are roughly the same strength as they were in Round 1. Overall, Republicans very slightly diminished Democratic leads in Congress, and they control the presidency for four more years.